GRTC Transit System in Richmond, Virginia seeks a result oriented professional to perform work under the general direction of the Planning Director. This position will manage Capital Improvement/ Transit Facility Projects. The incumbent serves as overall program manager for assigned projects and is responsible for ensuring the projects are completed within budget and on schedule, in accordance with standards. The responsibilities include overseeing, managing, and coordinating the development of assigned projects from conceptualization to final acceptance, such as planning, design, system engineering, procurement, construction, contract close-outs, and systems testing as designated in the contracts.
WHO MAY APPLY
This position is open to all GRTC employees and the general public. Candidates must be able to pass a background check and a pre-employment drug test.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates may apply online at www.ridegrtc.com.
Typically, 8:00AM – 4:30PM, Monday thru Friday. Occasional assignments may require a flexible work schedule to include weekends.
Performs work under the general direction of the Planning Director to assure that agency work products are completed professionally, on-time, and achieve intended outcomes. Foster positive communications about projects and increasing awareness and support for public transit among customers, communities, civic, non-profit organizations, businesses, public bodies, elected officials, and staff at all levels of government.
Professional Engineer License
CCM or PMP certificate
Experience working with city, county state or federal governmental agencies.
Experience with various project delivery methods i.e. Design-Bid-Build, Design-Build, P3.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in both an office and field (construction) environment. Field work requires climbing, walking, and standing at a construction site and may be outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 50 lbs.) may be required.
GRTC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER WHO VALUES DIVERSITY IN THE WORKFORCE.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Other duties may be assigned.
• Develops the project plan and approach, including scope, schedule, and budget for all assigned projects.
• Recommends for approval project schedules, estimates and budget that are complete, realistic, and fully meet program goals and is responsible for adhering strictly to the approved project schedules and budgets.
• Coordinates with procurement to prepare project bid packages.
• Provides management oversight during all phases of the project.
• Develops procedures and guides all engineering and construction activities to meet project deadlines.
• Manages the tasks, milestones, and deliverables for all projects, including tasks being performed by in-house staff, contractors, and consultants.
• Oversees coordination activities to establish schedule priorities.
• Reviews construction documents, including working drawings, signage and markings drawings, maintenance of traffic (MOT) plans and drawings, construction staging plans, and standard performance and construction specifications, and technical reports from third parties.
• Coordinates and maintains extensive contacts with internal and external stakeholders and project teams.
• Delegates tasks and assigns tasks to contractors, gathering information to produce status reports and works directly with staff, contractors, and consultants to complete projects as needed.
• Leads project progress meetings and reviews minutes.
• Creates progress reports recording the project’s advancements or delays to the Director and GRTC Management.
• Negotiates critical and controversial issues as required to ensure that goals of the project are met.
• Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgement in planning, organizing, coordinating, and solving engineering and construction problems.
• Coordinates the needs of various departments, resolving conflicts that impact the project schedule and costs.
• Monitors and updates project schedules and budgets.
• Develops and implements project specific QA programs.
• Reviews and approves contractor invoicing.
• Oversees and/or directs, monitors contractor activities in the field and prepares essential contract documentation and certification for payment processing.
• Ensures there are no open-ended contract task proposals and works with procurement for change orders as needed.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
•Excellent verbal, written, presentation, communication, analytical, and facilitation skills required.
•Must be able to gain quick but thorough grasp of salient issues and details of key initiatives in order to make evaluations and recommendations.
•Ability to understand and faithfully execute agendas and directives across departments and with external stakeholders.
•Must demonstrate ability to plan, organize and direct work effectively in a culturally diverse work group.
• Must demonstrate the ability to influence and achieve buy-in at all levels of the organization.
• Must have highly developed interpersonal skills which are sensitive and empathetic to others, build trust, and possess good listening skills.
Strong in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, or related field Experience.
A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in engineering and construction project management and/or capital program management.
Project management and business development experience.
Experience managing multidiscipline project teams.
Possession of a valid driver’s license or operator’s permit issued from jurisdiction of residence. Preferred Experience