DASH is currently looking for a dynamic and strong leader to fill the role of Assistant Director of Fleet Maintenance and Facilities in our maintenance department. If you have a proven leadership record and your professional background meets our job requirements, please apply within!
Under the direction of the Director of Fleet Maintenance and Facilities, the Assistant Director of Fleet Maintenance and Facilities supports the direction, oversight, and management of day-to-day operations of Transit Management of Alexandria’s (TMA) Maintenance Department. This position oversees the activities and functions related to DASH’s fleet and vehicles, mechanical, maintenance staff, and the preservation of the DASH facility and grounds. Ensures the safe and efficient operation of the department including the evaluation, development, and implementation of preventative maintenance policies and programs. Supports the managing of a cost-effective budget and provides support in the overall goals and KPI’s for maintenance operations.
- Responsibilities/Essential Functions:Provides leadership, guidance, and support to maintenance staff including Parts and Inventory Manager, Mechanics, Foreman, Services Workers and Cleaners.
- Provides oversight to Mechanics in the maintenance and repair of ATC vehicles, equipment, and infrastructure.
- Provides direction, feedback, and oversight to the Foreman with regards to service delivery, handling of maintenance processes, staffing issues, initiatives, projects, facility matters, and overall performance of the department.
- Supports all functions and activities of the parts/inventory department. Works with the Parts and Inventory Manager on the allocation of parts, supplies, and maintenance inventory to meet business demands and objectives.
- In Collaboration with the Director of Fleet Maintenance and Facilities, directs and supports the strategic planning effort to accomplish short and long-term Fleet, Facilities, and workforce goals and objectives.
- Oversees the training of Technicians (i.e., Technicians, Mechanics, and Specialist, etc.) for repair and maintenance work performed on all ATC vehicles and facilities.
- Maintains functional and professional relationships with external vendors and contractors for fleet maintenance services to include interpreting and negotiation estimates.
- Works with Director of Fleet Maintenance and Facilities on major vehicle procurements, providing maintenance level input on specifications and vehicle functions.Ensures availability of revenue vehicle to operations for daily pull-out while ensuring proper level of “State of Good Repair”.
- Assists with preparation and implementation of written maintenance plans for building and property maintenance of all DASH facilities.Oversees the maintenance, recording, and collection of various maintenance data to including overtime, attendance, road calls, and fleet performance through a variety of databases and proprietary software (I.e., Fleetio Management Software, Fleetwatch, TransTrack, Paychex, etc.)
- Ensures compliance with all TMA policies and procedures, labor contracts, and maintenance standard operating procedures. Communicates changes and implements processes to ensure department compliance.
- Oversees the maintenance and analysis of Fleet and service data to help optimize service and fleet efficiencies.
- Supports the Director of Maintenance and Director of Operations with emergency response assistance and special events as needed.Oversees the compliance of any and all applicable state and federal level state inspection programs.
- Oversees the staffing, on-boarding, training, professional development, off-boarding, and performance evaluation of maintenance department personnel, under the guidance of Human Resources as needed.
- Works directly with Human Resources and the Director of Fleet Maintenance and Facilities regarding workplace investigations through swift, concise, and proper documentation.
- Oversees and ensures effective administration of progressive discipline in accordance with TMA Policies and Procedure Handbook.Efficiently handles conflict, disputes, and general employee complaints through effective coaching, counseling and mediation as needed.
- Ensures the compliance of all applicable state, federal and local laws, rules, and regulations including OSHA, DOT, and FMSCA.Communicates and disseminates information via various methods of communication such as Company-wide alerts, changes, updates, and memos to maintenance staff as required.
- Provides regular feedback and recommendations to Director of Fleet Maintenance and Facilities and Assistant General Manager (AGM) regarding policies and standard operating procedures.Works collaboratively with Payroll and Human Resources department to address, troubleshoot and resolve pay issues, discrepancies and/or other employment, payroll, and HR matters.
- Ensures compliance with OSHA standards and TMA safety practices and procedures. Works with Director of Safety and the Director of Training to support remedial, reinforcement and refresher Safety training needs.
- Provides statistical and data analysis and reporting to Director of Fleet Maintenance and Facilities and Assistant General Manger (AGM) as requested.Responsible for ensuring the highest quality of service to TMA employees and other Departments.
- Fosters and maintains positive employee relations and work environment through recognition and performance programs, while ensuring a customer focused approach.
- Stays current with developments in the transit industry through training associations, seminars, and individual professional development opportunities.Cooperatively and effectively performs related tasks and duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of transit maintenance services, facility maintenance services, and general vehicle maintenance.
- Knowledge of transit vehicle operations.Strong knowledge of OSHA and maintenance safety standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of general transit industry vehicle best practices, and trends.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Proficient knowledge of computers, hardware, and software programs (Printers, copiers, etc.) especially those related to staff communication tools, fleet maintenance, and service tracking (i.e., Fleetio, TransTrack, MailChimp, emergency alert system, etc.)
- Knowledge of transit bus systems and technology.
- Strong ability to conduct workplace investigations objectively and in a timely manner.
- Ability to document incidents, accidents, and employment issues.
- Basic knowledge of finance management and budgeting.
- Basic knowledge of payroll and timekeeping systems.
- Basic knowledge of payroll and employment rules and regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; to include providing guidance, mentorship, discipline, and instruction to subordinates.
- Strong ability to understand and enforce TMA policy and procedures.
- Strong time management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to interpret labor contracts and familiar with unionized environment.
- Ability to plan, organize, and evaluate maintenance services.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive working relationships with others.
- Ability to generate reports for a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to effectively prioritize responsibilities to assure successful and timely completion of assignments.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to make independent decisions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment.
- Excellent customer relations skills.Emotional, Psychological and Physical Requirements:
- Work long hours and endure high levels of stress.
- Handle emergency situations, calmly and effectively
- Coach and counsel employeesMake quick and concise decisions under pressure
- Deal with the public on a secondary basis
- Greet and meet with visitors or vendors
- Clearly disseminate information to wide variety of audiences
- Concentrate on priority tasks with frequent interruptions
- Stand and/or walk for long periods while moving throughout garage/facility and grounds.Bend, twist, and turn frequently and consistently throughout shift.
- Sit in an office environment for long periods of timeWork in adverse weather conditions.Lifts light loads at times (<50 lbs.)
- Bending or stooping while inspecting vehicles.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire a Class B (Passenger and Air-Brake endorsement) Commercial Driver’s License with P endorsement.
- Acceptable criminal history record that must be maintained throughout employment
- Acceptable drug screen results upon hire and as required by policy for position
- May be required to attend training, meetings, and classes for continued professional development which may involve local travel within the Washington Metropolitan area.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED required.Associate’s degree or higher from an accredited technical school, college, or university with major coursework Fleet Management, Mechanical, Business Administration or a related field highly preferred.
- Knowledge of fixed route transit operations highly preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in transit maintenance services, facility maintenance services, and general vehicle maintenance or related required.Diesel experience preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related supervisory and management experience in a transit, automotive, fleet, or similar maintenance environment required.
- Working experience with Microsoft Office software including Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint required.
- Familiarity with union environment and labor contracts preferred.Knowledge of DOT, OSHA, and FMCSA requirements and policies preferred.
- Relevant certification or training in maintenance, fleet operations, or related programs a plus.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college, university, or Technical School with an Associate’s degree or higher may be considered.