Summary of Job:
Under general supervision of the Director – Fixed Route, the bus operator performs work which involves operating a bus on a predetermined route according to time schedules, charts, and special services in and around the city of Jacksonville for the purpose of transporting passengers.
Essential Job Functions:
• Operates assigned bus in a safe and efficient manner.
• Follows all safety and traffic rules and strictly adhering to time schedules.
• Memorize assigned routes, transfer points and fare structures.
• Resolves passenger concerns, issues and questions relative to services.
• Remains diligent and report dangerous conditions or unusual activity along bus route, including road conditions, obstructions, unusual traffic and potential criminal activity.
• Provide general and routine information to passengers in a courteous and helpful manner.
• Provides assistance to disabled passengers as required.
• Monitors fare and ticket collection, verify appropriate pass is used.
• Performs pre-trip inspections of assigned bus.
• Completes routine forms to report mechanical difficulties of bus assigned.
• Performs other duties of similar nature as, may be required.
• Communicates with co-workers, management, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
• Promptly reports accidents and incidents that occur in, on or around company vehicles to Control Center and if it affects service operations.
• Inspects bus for lost articles and turns over to appropriate department.
Supervisory & Operational Authority:
• This position has 0 direct report(s).
• Recognize and follow ADA rules and regulations related to passenger transit services.
• Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
• Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
• Must be 21 years old or older
• High school diploma or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
• Florida CDL class A or B license with Passenger endorsement or Passenger permit.
•Clean driving record: no more than 3 traffic violations in the last 5 years or 3 years without any traffic violations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Must be able to lift at least 25lbs and push objects such as doors, windows, emergency hatches, wheelchairs and wheelchair lifts.
• Must be able to repetitively bend, kneel, squat, and twist safely.
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
• Must be willing to work nights, holidays, weekends, split shifts, split days off and any hours assigned.
• Must have been a licensed driver for a minimum of two (2) years.
• Must be able to read a map.
• Must be able to use good judgment and carryout instructions given by Supervisors or dispatch personnel via radio.
• Must be able to keep accurate records, and communicate clearly and concisely via a radio handset.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to see and judge a variety of object distances and traffic patterns.
• Ability to quickly respond to objects and traffic patterns.Physical Demands:
• Sit for prolonged periods.
• Perform repetitive motion.