|Position Title: Director of Transportation||Safety Sensitive: Yes|
|Supervisor’s Title: Vice President of Operations and Chief Operating Officer||FLSA Status: Exempt|
|Department: Transportation||Division: Operations|
The Director of Transportation is responsible for directing and supporting all activities in the transportation department, including the daily management of Fixed Route transportation operations, to ensure safe, efficient, and effective customer-oriented transportation services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions listed below. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Leads the transportation department, monitoring transportation requirements and operations to ensure reliable and effective on-time performance and service.
- Develops and enforces operational policies and practices to ensure efficient and safe operations and effective management of department staff.
- Directs the fair and consistent administration of rules and regulations governing driver conduct, appearance, and vehicle operation.
- Ensures that labor disputes are avoided through the fair and equitable interpretation and application of all contract provisions by meeting regularly with employees, providing counseling, and/or disciplining employees in accordance with established rules and regulations.
- Ensures equipment and bus operators begin and maintain service on time by reviewing daily reports and system efficiency data concerning bus operators’ performance.
- Identifies the short- and long-term transportation needs of the department to meet organizationally agreed-upon levels of quality of service; develops targeted programs to improve problem areas.
- This position is accountable for safety in the workplace.
- Serves as a member of the management team, establishing priorities and strategic plans for the corporation and developing long- and short-term plans and objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Directly supervises one or more employees.
- Applies supervisory responsibilities according to organizational policies and applicable laws.
- Interviews, hires, and trains employees; plans, and directs work; sets goals for the department; evaluates and manages employee performance; addresses complaints and resolves employee issues.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- Associate degree in human resources, business administration, public administration, transportation logistics, or a related field or equivalent work experience required; bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Six or more years of management experience and three to five years of customer service experience is required; experience in transportation management is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Familiarity with the city of Indianapolis, the IndyGo route system, and service areas.
- Proficiency using a computer, including proficiency with Microsoft Office, the internet, and complex spreadsheets and databases.
- Ability to operate office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, and phones.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; strong listening skills.
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to communicate to groups.
- Ability to interact with internal and external constituents at all levels, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence.
- Above average decision-making and problem-solving abilities.
- Above average mathematical abilities (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios, and fractions), including the ability to apply principles of algebra and geometry.
- Ability to process and analyze data.
- Ability to develop and monitor a budget, to track and control expenses and/or revenues, and to conduct financial analysis.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and manage tasks and time effectively; flexibility is required.
- Ability to handle sensitive information and situations with professionalism and decorum.
- Ability to direct, influence, and motivate others.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented office environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to move throughout the workday, often between departments and/or facilities.
- Strong sensory skills, such as good hearing and good eyesight.
- Ability to speak clearly.
- Local travel is required regularly; evening and weekend travel is required occasionally.