Are you a senior professional in the field of finance and accounting looking for a new leadership role? Are you a self-starter who excels at creating solutions and practices to solve problems? Are you looking for a collaborative leadership environment that supports your goals and growth? If so, Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transportation District (MTD) welcomes your application to be our next Director of Finance and Administration.
The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for directing the district’s financial services and fiscal operations, including the annual budget, forecasting, and asset management. The position is responsible for procurement and contracts, developing fiscal controls and systems, and grants management. The Director of Finance and Administration leads a professional and administrative staff of 9 employees in the areas of Accounting, Payroll, Purchasing and IT, in support of MTD’s vision, mission and priorities. The position has regular contact with state and federal agencies, local governments, and other stakeholders, and must coordinate work with various departments as it relates to accounting, budgeting and all fiscal functions.
This position works under general administrative direction of the General Manager and serves as a member of MTD’s executive management team. The Director of Finance and Administration plans, organizes, supervises, and directs activities as assigned by managing efficient operation of an area-wide transportation system and performs other work as required.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS TECHNICAL EXPERTISE RELATED TO AND DEEP KNOWLEDGE OF:
• Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Basic Principles of Accounting as applied to Governmental Accounting Standards (GASB).
• Principles, practices, methods, and procedures used in governmental accounting, POS, financial management, auditing, and budgeting.
• Local government roles, responsibilities, and processes and applicable federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
• Financial management and sustainability practices including financial statements and reporting, financial modeling, cash flow analysis, financial securities, financial risk measures, accounting requirements, and investment principles and management, budgeting and fiscal sustainability, and internal controls.
• Public meeting practices and laws, and public records management.
• Communication possessing both written and oral communication skills, with an ability to understand and speak to the concerns of others.
• Modern financial systems, applicable software and office methods, procedures, and equipment including the Microsoft programs (Excel, Word, and Outlook); including experience with financial system upgrades.
PROVEN LEADERSHIP SKILLS IN:
• Promoting collaboration and teamwork, with the ability to engage and inspire direct reports and others.
• Employee coaching, supervision, career development, and training.
• Making sound decisions, building realistic plans, and project management.
• Facilitating collaboration and developing consensus with groups of diverse stakeholders.
• Communicating complex technical issues and difficult realities knowledgeably and compassionately, in understandable language, to a range of audiences.
• Political savvy, and networking to form effective alliances.
• Maintaining effective working relationships with all levels of staff and with the public.
CORE VALUES THAT INCLUDE
:• A hands-on working leader that is driven, with a strong commitment to timely execution, accountability, and transparency.
• Sincere care for stakeholder interests and needs, leading to behavior that is proactive, approachable, and responsive.
• Integrity and dependability.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration, or related field; and
• Eight (8) years of progressively responsible financial management experience, at least three years of which shall have been directly or indirectly in public transit (or similar organization).
• A Master’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration, or related field.
• Licensing as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
The mission of Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transit District is to enhance the mobility of South Coast residents, commuters, and visitors by offering safe, appealing, equitable, environmentally responsible, and fiscally sound transit service.
MTD’s regional services are provided in the southern portion of Santa Barbara County, running from the Ventura County border in the east, to the western end of Goleta. The service area includes the cities of Santa Barbara, Carpinteria, and Goleta, and the communities of Isla Vista, Montecito, Summerland, and the Eastern Goleta Valley, connecting the local community and visitors to colleges and the University of California at Santa Barbara, the Santa Barbara airport, train stations, and major business hubs and destination spots.
Great people are MTD’s most important asset and are essential to fulfilling our mission. Our 218 employees provide the community with over 6 million trips annually, with 112 buses serving 42 transit routes (24 regular routes + 18 booster routes) at 719 bus stops. MTD is committed to our community and we are looking for people who share our passion for service and enhancing the mobility of our riders.
MTD takes pride in its outstanding record of EEO compliance and commitment to diversity. As a progressive service provider and employer, MTD has a strong interest in maintaining its positive image and relationships with the public, our passengers, internal and external stakeholders, and federal and state regulators.
• Medical and Dental – $40 Employee contribution for up to full family coverage
• Vision – Optional Coverage
• 401(k) Retirement Plan – 10% employer contribution
• Life Insurance – $50,000 coverage Employer Paid plus additional optional coverage
• Holidays – 10 paid days per year
• Personal Days Off – 5 per year, no rollover
• Vacation – Eligible for 80 hours after 1 year increasing to 200 hours after 20 years
• Sick leave – 80 hours accrued annually, no cap
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• MTD bus pass including spouse and dependent children
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, candidates should apply at – https://sbmtd.gov/careers/
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a Letter of Interest and a focused resume detailing their recent (within the past 10 years) experience and demonstrated career accomplishments relevant to this position along with their application.
Each candidate will be evaluated on the basis of information submitted at the time of application, and only qualified candidates will be contacted to participate in a preliminary phone interview. Only the most qualified candidates will be invited to an Oral Panel interview if held.
The District’s pre-employment procedures include a drug and alcohol screen (completed by an industrial health clinic of MTD’s choice), criminal background screen, and references. All offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of the pre-employment process. Finalist references will only be contacted after a mutual interest has been established.
Additional inquiries about the position may be directed to the attention of Mary Gregg, Chief Operating Officer, at email@example.com. Candidates who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transit District has established a policy and practice of recruiting, hiring, training and promoting for all job classifications within MTD without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other protected class or consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.