Provides the strategic direction for the operations of the planning and development activities of the Planning and Development Department. Implements programs and objectives to ensure the achievement of the organization’s goals for strategic planning, GIS and service planning. Directs the management, coordination and oversight of technical work performed by staff and consulting firms related to various transit plans and projects. Position supervises the Manager of Strategic Planning and Manager of Service Planning and reports to the Divisional Chief Officer.
• Responsible for the Planning and Development Department, including strategic planning, GIS services, and service planning and analysis.
• Supervises the leaders of strategic planning, GIS and service planning staff and associated contract or consulting resources.
• Presents on behalf of the Authority to local, regional, state and federal government agencies, boards, commissions and conferences; works in conjunction with regional planning organizations to accomplish the Authority’s strategic initiatives, vision, mission, and core values.
• Administers department by planning and budgeting; ensures completion and timely submittal of federal, state, and local grants applications and reports; sets goals and standards for the department; oversees and delegates work to department staff; establishes reviews, and modifies department policy; resolves employee issues and grievances.
• Plans, directs, controls and coordinates various transit planning, establishes and monitors controls to evaluate related performance, takes appropriate actions to correct performance and to adjust programs to meet requirement.
• Monitors performance of work to ensure compliance with contract specifications.
• Analyzes projects to determine status, cost-effectiveness, and makes changes or modifications to ensure compliance with established project objectives.
• Performs technical reviews of projects and prepares technical reports and correspondence.
• Prepares and presents technical reports, progress reports, special studies, and cost estimates to support transportation projects.
• Coordinates projects with local state, regional and federal agencies to ensure compliance applicable standards.
• Remains current on new industry trends, methods and technology.
• Performs other duties as may be required or assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning, Engineering or a related field, plus ten years of experience in a managerial capacity, of which five years must have been in planning and development; or an equivalent combination of related education, training and experience.
• A Master’s degree and prior experience with mass transit projects
• Held management positions in municipal or public agencies with budget responsibility
• AICP certification