Unique Opportunity to Transform Rail in Virginia!
The Virginia Passenger Rail Authority (VPRA) is responsible for promoting, sustaining, and expanding the availability of passenger and commuter rail service in the Commonwealth. The VPRA also provides funding to Virginia Railway Express (VRE) and administers all capital expansion projects, infrastructure, and land acquisitions related to the $3.7 billion Transforming Rail in Virginia initiative, which will double Amtrak and VRE service in Virginia over the next decade.
VPRA is looking for amazing people! Come join us as the Engineering Project Manager.
Exciting opportunity to oversee engineering and design activities for large rail projects being implemented by CSX Transportation (CSX) on behalf of the Virginia Passenger Rail Authority (VPRA) as part of the multi-billion dollar Transforming Rail in Virginia ( https://transformingrailva.com/) initiative.
These Phase 1 and Phase 2 projects include six (6) new sidings and a new Fourth Track in Alexandria and Arlington.
This recruitment may be used to fill more than one Engineering Project Manager position for these CSX-implemented projects.
The Engineering Project Manager (PM), in conjunction with VPRA project partners including CSX, VRE, Amtrak, and consultants, will have lead responsibility for overseeing all engineering and design activities for assigned projects including detailed review of design documents and engineer’s estimates. The position is responsible for monitoring assigned projects to ensure they advance through the engineering and design phases on budget and on schedule. The PM will manage communication and coordination between the CSX project team and VRPA, ensuring all parties are kept appropriately informed. Responsible for monitoring the performance of the engineering project team in meeting project objectives and milestones. Keeps the Engineering Manager appropriately informed about engineering team performance concerns and project risks as they arise.
Responsible for collaborating with the Project Controls Manager and CSX to review and project schedules and budgets. Responsible for ensuring the CSX project team meets all project management plan requirements, provides VPRA with necessary project documentation in a timely manner and meets all reporting requirements. Responsible for participating in value engineering workshops and constructibility reviews.
As the projects move into the construction phase the Project Managers will likely be asked to undertake oversight of new design responsibilities in Phases 3 and 4 of the Virginia agreements with CSX and/or as part of other projects the VPRA is undertaking as part of the larger Transforming Rail in Virginia initiative. This position can work from Richmond, VA or Alexandria, VA.
- At least 5 years’ experience managing engineering and design for large transportation projects.
- Four-year degree in planning, civil engineering or closely related field.
- Current Professional Engineer’s license in Virginia.
- Knowledge of railroad engineering principles and safety regulations.
- Familiarity with freight, passenger and commuter rail operations.
- Ability to build and update project schedules for large, complex transportation projects.
- Ability to understand and manage complex project budgets using a standard work breakdown structure.
- Knowledge of contingency management plans and use of contingency funds (allocated and unallocated).
- Experience managing engineering consultants to meet contract performance requirements.
- Knowledge of change control processes for scope, schedule and budget changes.
- Ability to work under pressure, handle multiple priorities and respond in a professional manner to multiple, competing demands.
- Experience applying risk management principles to scope, schedule and budget management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound, timely judgments often with incomplete information.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Outlook) and other commonly used office software including Adobe and Enterprise Resource Planning Systems.
The compensation package for this position includes benefits equivalent to state employees of the Commonwealth including health/dental insurance and participation in the Virginia Retirement System.
For a complete position description, and to apply online, visit https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/237961. Applications will only be accepted as submitted online through the Recruitment Management System (RMS). Applications submitted via email, postal mail, fax, or in person will not be considered.