The Big Sky Transportation District (Big Sky, Montana) is seeking a dynamic individual to become its first Executive Director (ED). The ED will work with the Transportation District’s Board, General Manager and Contractor to continue the level of excellence established over the last 30 years the District has been in existence, and the last 15 years that the public transportation system in the Big Sky area known as “Skyline,” has operated.
The ED will be responsible for all aspects of managing and operating the District, including working with state and local partners to secure funding for capital needs and operations, and to ensure that the public transportation services provided by the District meets the needs of the locals and visitors to Big Sky, along with the needs of the employers and employees of the community.
• Review, create and implement routes and schedules.
• Submit necessary/required reports, including quarterly reports to the Montana Department of Transportation (MDT); and an annual report to the National Transit Database (NTD).
• Maintain a positive relationship with funding agencies and organizations, including MDT and the Big Sky Resort Area District (BSRAD).
• Set strategic goals, supervise the General Manager and Contractor (currently Karst Stage) to ensure that the service operates as scheduled.
• Work with the accountant (currently a contracted position) to ensure the timely payment of all invoices, and work with the Auditor on the annual audit.
• Ensure that there are an adequate number of vehicles (buses) to operate the system, and that the vehicles are in a state of good repair and properly insured, and that the District has the facilities it needs to properly operate.
• Identify and implement coordination efforts with other transportation agencies and organizations in the region, and likely act as the Chair of the Big Sky area Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC).
• Submit the annual coordination plan and request for funding to MDT, and all other applicable requests for funding, including those to BSRAD and Gallatin and Madison Counties.
• Coordinate with the marketing agency/firm to ensure public awareness of the transportation services offered by the District.
• Coordinate bus pass/fare card distribution to ensure that riders can access and help pay for the services of the District.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, planning or related field.
• Ten years’ experience in managing budgets and coordinating with other organizations.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, etc.).
• Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)Additional Information
• Master’s degree in business, planning or related field.
• Five years’ experience in public transportation operations/management
• CDL with two years of driving experience
Note: Executive Director will not be required to live in Big Sky but must live within a one-hour drive of the Big Sky community. While some work of the Executive Director would be able to be accomplished from a home or remote office, the ED will be expected to be in Big Sky frequently for meeting with partners, inspecting/reviewing the service and its facilities and vehicles, and other activities.