DEPARTMENT: Finance FLSA: Exempt, Full-Time
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager of Budget EEO: Professional
SALARY GRADE: 104 SALARY RANGE: DOQ ($57,939.00 – $72,423.00 annually)
PURPOSE OF JOB
The position provides analytical expertise to support financial and operational goals of the agency. The incumbent acts as a strategic partner with other departments in the collection and analysis of a variety of data. This person will present alternatives and make recommendations to improve financial performance and operational efficiency. This position will also support the Finance Department and will perform various accounting & budgeting functions.
1. Preparing a variety of monthly reports to assist Accounting Division to include variance analysis, trends, reconciliations. Maintain, reconcile, and audit a variety of reports and transactions to ensure accuracy.
2. Prepare various types of detailed analysis, ad hoc reporting, financial models, and forecasting as dictated by current needs of the agency.
3. Report on miscellaneous projects that fill the informational needs of various departments within the agency by compiling, interpreting and reporting on information on a wide range of data.
4. Collect, assemble, and analyze operations and financial data to assess performance, identify improvements, and evaluate alternative solutions. Reports may also delve into the realm of non-financial reporting, depending on the needs of the agency.
5. Generate reports, presentations, graphics, forms and other documents to demonstrate information flow and project results to provide information to decision makers.
6. Assist in the preparation of financial documents including but not limited to: audit requests, annual budget, Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, monthly financial statements.
7. Prepare and/or maintain ad hoc reports of financial and operating data using IBM Cognos report writing software, CentralSquare ONESolution financial system, and Tableau.
8. Maintain and analyze revenue data to inform decisions related to financial forecasting, budgeting, and fare changes.
9. Organize and analyze data and serve as liaison for cost allocation model & ensure alignment of the budget within the cost allocation model guidelines.
10. Utilize existing financial models and adapt variables as needed such as economic indicators and trends.
11. Provide financial analyses and support for debt issuance, contract pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
12. Assist in compiling financial information for use in the National Transit Database and/or other governmental required reporting.
13. Investigate and analyze complex operational problems, processes, and procedures; develop recommendations; and report findings and conclusions.
14. Collaborate with users of financial and operations systems, assess information needs, troubleshoot issues to increase efficiency and streamline workflow process, and optimize system utilization through technology driven processes.
15. Support the development of complex Finance reports and related tools, serve as a resource for the creation of simple reports, assist in general ledger maintenance and structure.
16. Complete technical research as required.
17. Assist in developing and updating financial policies and procedures manuals.
18. Perform other duties or projects of similar nature and level as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK
Education & Experience:
(Any equivalent combination of education and experience) Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration, or other related field from an accredited college or university. Minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in financial analysis or related field, preferably in public transportation, municipal government, or similar environment.
Hold a current valid Texas Driver’s License or have the ability to obtain one upon entry into the position.
• Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) requirements
• Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
• Experience with CentralSquare ONESolution Finance and/or IBM COGNOS report writing software highly preferred
• Experience with Tableau visual software preferred Ability to:
• Work independently to perform a variety of functions and manage multiple projects at one time while working in a dynamic environment with changing priorities to meet established deadlines
• Demonstrate a professional level of expertise and high level of discretion and judgment to support and inform decision-making processes while upholding confidentiality when applicable
• Establish cooperative working relationships and communicate effectively and sensitively with all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing
• Exhibit strong problem-solving skills and exceptional customer service orientation
The ideal candidate will:
• Possess a positive attitude, and practices good judgement, while open to receiving/providing feedback
• Hold the ability to get along with others, individually and in a large group. Has the desire to care for the organization’s well-being and for the co-workers he/she interacts with. Interested in partaking in group development and team building activities
• Be open to collaborate and work in a team-oriented and helping environment
• Possess an influential and welcoming communication style
• Foster a culture that values critical thinking and problem solving; and encourages constructive feedback, engagement, inclusion, and diversity at all levels
Physical activities include, but are not limited to: on a continuous basis, sitting at a desk for long periods of time; researching information both in written form and on the computer; using a computer and monitor for long periods of time; intermittently twisting and reaching office equipment; writing or using keyboard to communicate through written means; lifting light weight; reaching above the waist and reaching below the waist; repetitive motion and fingering when using computer keyboard; and talking and hearing when dealing with internal and external customers. The essential functions of this position require the daily use of a computer and telephone. The essential functions of this position are performed in an office environment.
Additional perks and benefits that accompany full-time employment with DCTA:
• Telecommuting options available, up to three days a month, after successful completion of your six-month probationary period and if suitable for your position.
• Flexible office hours are permitted, given a regular 8-hour workday that brackets the agency’s core hours from 9:00am – 4:00pm (i.e. 7:30 am to 4:30pm, or 9:00am to 6:00pm). These flex hours are coordinated with your supervisor.
• One 8-hour paid day off for your birthday.
• Employee portions of Medical and Dental benefits are 100% paid by the employer.
• If you have utilized a Proportionate Retirement Program in the past, the service time transfers to DCTA’s retirement system, TCDRS. The following systems apply:
o Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS)
o Employees Retirement System (ERS)
o Judicial Retirement System of Texas (JRS) o Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS)
o City of Austin Employees Retirement System (COAERS)
• Expanding time-off accruals: 12 days of vacation time accrued for the first year, increasing by one day each year, with a max of 17 days annually. Additionally, employees earn 12 days of sick time each year, 1 personal day, 2 floating holidays, 1 birthday, 8 fixed holidays, and the ability to earn two additional days off through the Wellness Program.
• DCTA strives to continually improve our Servant Leadership culture. We pride ourselves in having an open, caring, and communicative community of employees, with the drive to help build each other up.
• Flexible dress code: business casual, allowing jeans every day (unless otherwise specified for external/special meetings, events, etc.).
• Extensive Wellness Program, including several opportunities to volunteer with the agency, sporadic lunch and learn events, chair massages, the potential to earn two extra days off each year, and continual efforts to improve wellness throughout the agency.