The Loop Trolley Company is seeking a proven professional in the field of Rail Vehicle/Track, Electric and Facility maintenance to serve as its Maintenance Leader. The Loop Trolley Company is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization contracted to operate and maintain the 2.2 mile fixed-rail, electrically-powered (600V DC) vintage trolley transit system in St. Louis, MO’s Delmar Loop/DeBaliviere transportation district.
The Maintenance Leader is responsible for managing and physically performing critical duties relevant to the inspection, testing, maintenance and repair of Loop Trolley Company’s trolleys and trolley operating systems (Track, Facility, Electrical/Substation). The Maintenance Leader assures all systems remain in a State of Good Repair and that trolleys are maintained to provide safe, reliable and consistent service. The successful candidate will have recent, direct experience in maintaining similar equipment and systems.
The Maintenance Leader position is a salaried, full-time, exempt position with access to health/dental/vision, Life/AD&D, and Disability benefits. Weekend and evening hours are required.
• Establish and enact a defined, data-based program of preventative and corrective maintenance designed to provide maximum trolley availability for testing and revenue service; Manage the implementation of the program, including scheduling preventative and corrective maintenance, assisting in diagnosis and troubleshooting equipment problems.
• Lead the maintenance workforce including: planning, performing and directing the work; hiring, training and developing Maintenance department staff; and assuring a safe work area and safe work practices;
• Report to and receive direction from his/her Direct Supervisor (Director of Operations) to plan trolley fleet availability, regularly provide maintenance status of system elements; and professionally communicate findings and corrective actions for system defects and issues.
• Work within organizational and departmental budgets to ensure inventory, equipment, and contracted works are addressed and scheduled; and establish vendor accounts and contracts for purposes of parts/materials procurement.
• Ensure compliance on a day-to-day basis with state, federal and organizations operating & maintenance rules, and safety requirements.
• Initiate and implement processes to improve efficiency and reduce operating costs.
•Assist in oversight and coordination of contractor activities performed for the Loop Trolley system or that may affect Loop Trolley systems.
• Ensure maintenance technician(s) are trained on current maintenance procedures, are properly equipped, and effectively positioned to individually perform assigned and scheduled duties.
• Regularly inspect, clean and service facility systems, traction power substation, station stops, trolleys, and track/track-switch elements.
• Utilizes a variety of test equipment, PC and graphic/written information to diagnose malfunctions, and troubleshoot and qualify mechanical and electrical components to determine corrective actions and causes of equipment failures.
• Actively participate in the Safety & Security Committee, Fire/Life/Safety Committee and other committees or working groups as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, & SKILLS
• Knowledge of mechanical, hydraulic, electrical and pneumatic systems as used in historic and modern streetcars/trolleys. Candidates with freight/heavy-rail vehicle and system experience are also encouraged to apply.
• Knowledge of rail systems, including traction power, signal and track maintenance.
• Knowledge and skilled use of electrical tools, industrial equipment and the measurements necessary to meet established standards.
• Ability to read and interpret mechanical/electrical drawings provided by OEM, and troubleshoot issues using schematics and diagnostic equipment.
• Ability to train others in attaining high skill levels in inspections and repairs.
• Demonstrated computer skills.
• At all times conduct him/herself with professionalism and respect to all Loop Trolley Company employees, contractors, vendors and the public.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Completion of technical school or apprentice program, supplemented by considerable hands-on mechanical experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience as a work leader or supervisor is highly desirable. Experience in troubleshooting, repair, replacement or rebuilding mechanical equipment and systems. Experience in electrical repairs, and testing advanced electrical/electronic systems and reading/interpreting circuit diagrams, schematics and mechanical drawings. Experience in both A/C and D/C electrical systems. Experience in the maintenance of railroad or rail transit equipment, including welding. Experience in workflow management and inventory.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to clearly speak, read, and write English in a work setting. Ability to read and understand professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, contractors, and the general public.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License required. Strong preference for candidates with possession of a valid Class B CDL license with Passenger Endorsement, including Air Brake Test Pass Endorsement, and any other licenses, certificates, and registrations as required by law to perform his/her specified functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job: Must have near/far visual acuity, color vision, and ability to adjust focus; Must have hearing capability to perform the essential functions of the job and to distinguish and separate sounds around machinery and tools. The position of Maintenance Leader is a highly physical role, requiring the employee to regularly sit, type, interact with a computer monitor for extended periods, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, feel, stand, walk, sweep, lift up to 50lbs, grasp, use hand tools, use electric and gas-powered vibrating tools, use torque wrenches (up to 600 ft-lb), use heavy equipment, and perform repetitive motions. The employee will operate fork lifts and scissor-lifts (25ft. work height), and regularly lift and secure overhead grounding cables/clamps (using fiberglass pole extender) at heights of 20ft.
Required to wear safety apparel and equipment as established in Loop Trolley Company procedures and rules. Shop, field, train or yard locations include moderate to high noise level, lighting of various degrees, floors of carpet/metal and various heat/cold conditions and inclement weather. Regular interaction with high-voltage (600V DC) equipment, overhead wires, and mechanisms. Duties regularly produce or are performed in conditions where fumes or airborne particles are present. Must be able to work safely on or around loose materials, uneven or raised surfaces, and metal plates and equipment. Must be able to lift, carry, push or pull loads in accordance with all applicable safety rules. Must demonstrate a complete understanding of the safety procedures of and purpose for working on high-voltage electrical equipment.SALARY/WAGES AND
The Maintenance Leader position is a salaried, full-time, exempt position. The salary for the position of Maintenance Leader is $66,500 annually on a twice-monthly payroll schedule. The selected candidate will have access to health/dental/vision (90%/10% employer-employee split; and 50/%50 split for employee spouse and/or dependents), Life/AD&D, and Disability benefits, as well as a monthly cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY
Loop Trolley is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.To apply for this position, please email an introductory letter, resume and three recent, professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Loop Trolley Maintenance Leader”. If selected for next steps, Loop Trolley staff will reach out via email to schedule a phone, virtual or in-person interview.Candidate(s) selected for hire must submit to and pass LTC’s established positional pre-employment drug screening, physical and/or essential functions test, and background check to secure their selection.