Metro is seeking a Manager of Capital and TOD Projects that will manage the planning and control, design, project procurement, contract administration, and project delivery standards, policies and guidelines, to ensure that SORTA’s capital (i.e. transit center) and Transit Oriented Development (TOD) projects are executed within prescribed timeframes and budgets, and in strict compliance with safety standards and measures, as set in SORTA’s policies and procedures.
- Represent SORTA at various city, county, state, federal, and public meeting.
- Interact with, and make presentations to, community organizations, nonprofits, and private businesses to support SORTA’s Public Outreach Programs.
- Brief members of the public and representatives from the community on capital projects as community development matters.
- Assist in the development of SORTA’s strategy development by providing input and plans on Planning and community priorities, challenges and requirements in line with overall strategic objectives
- Develop scopes of work for planning & engineering services for capital and TOD service.
- Administer contract changes, including scope revisions, amendments, and maintain project control;
manage scope, schedule, and budget of contracts.
- Ensure all permits and licenses needed are provided in close coordination with local jurisdictions in order to meet timely completion of specific project tasks.
- Assist in the update of department budget.
- Monitor financial performance versus budget to keep track of costs, ensure areas of unsatisfactory
performance are identified/ rectified promptly and improvement opportunities are acted upon
- Liaise, coordinate, and negotiate with different public and private entities, e.g. Engineering and Planning departments at the City, local MPO (OKI), local municipalities and developers to ensure alignment on all transport plans and initiatives
- Lead coordination with internal stakeholders/customers and external entities to communicate SORTA’s capital projects goals, understand stakeholder needs and concerns, and seek consensus in design solutions while working within defined budget and schedule.
- Lead the identification and the selection of bidders for the successful management and completion of the projects using related tools, i.e. (Value Engineering Tools).
- Oversee all contractual negotiations in order to ensure that all contractual requirements are met.
- Ensure the compliance of materials and systems with established procedures and specifications in order to provide a high standard of quality within competitive prices.
- Establish and maintain relationships with local and regional planning and economic development entities to coordinate SORTA’s capital & TOD goals, and devise strategies that will support SORTA’s long-range initiatives, and assure their effectiveness in meeting the region’s public transportation goals.
- Lead and manage all aspects of the capital projects including environmental studies, appraisals and
categorical exclusion studies.
- Lead and manage land acquisitions pertaining to the capital projects.
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities and enforce a culture of change for continuous
- Ensure that all department’s reports are prepared timely and accurately and meet SORTA’s and the
department, policies and standards
- Develop positive relationships, maintain ongoing communication, and meet regularly with SORTA staff to provide support and oversight for project tasks, remove barriers to progress, and ensure accountability for project goals.
- Review and assist in state and federal grant applications and funding that support Strategic Planning, Development and Innovation department goals and objectives
- Provide monthly updates to SORTA’s Board through monthly reports and presentations
- Provide a positive work environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran
- Develop and implement standards and strategies to meet or exceed organization, department, and staff performance goals and objectives, monitor results, recognize accomplishments, and oversee continuous improvement
- Model, facilitate and encourage exemplary internal and external customer service, open communication, collaboration, participation, and professional development of staff
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Ability to work in compliance with Metro’s safety and security policies
- Develop presentations for conferences and attend conferences
- Other duties as assigned
- Communications: Excellent oral and written communication skills. Persuasive, consensus builder
- Customer Focus: Excellent problem-solving skills and a desire to exceed customer expectations
- Employee Development: Competent in assessing employee skills: coaches, delegates, and supports
employee development, provides constructive feedback
- Leadership: Energetic, innovative self-starter, committed to continuous improvement and creative
- Professional Integrity: Exhibits and values commitment, leadership, accountability, diversity, honesty,
fiscal responsibility, and the ability to maximize resources
- Proficiency: Able to multi-task, plan and measure results, create and analyze data, excellent computer skills, accuracy and attention to detail, excellent project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree (4-year college or university) in architecture, engineering or planning. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Six (6) years of experience in capital projects development. Master’s degree may account for two (2)
years of experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft work environment including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, internet, and email.
- Working knowledge of GIS and data-related applications.
- Working knowledge in desktop engineering applications (Autodesk, or other CAD/CAE tools)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project
- Familiarity with Federal Transit Administration (FTA) capital projects requirements
- Proficiency in building code requirements
- Working knowledge of transit planning principles and requirements.
- Leadership and staff management experience.
- Excellent public speaking, writing and presentation skills.
- Office atmosphere