|TriMet is in search of a Manager of Engineering & Construction Rail Systems
The Manager of Engineering and Construction Rail Systems directs, manages and leads the Rail Systems workgroup within TriMet’s Engineering, Construction and Planning Division. Responsibilities include management, review and coordination of all rail systems design, procurement, manufacturing, construction, and testing activities associated with the implementation, operation and maintenance of TriMet’s light rail and commuter rail systems.
This position is responsible for scope, schedule, cost, and Diversity and Workforce Program performance and for enforcing contract provisions, maintaining a secure and safe work site, coordinating with other projects and jurisdictions and overall portfolio management.
The Manager directs all technical, design, and management efforts related to traction power, signaling communication and systems integration, including all hardware, software, and related equipment. They direct, manage, coordinate, and review civil and systems design and field construction efforts related to TriMet’s traction electrification, rail signaling and rail-related communication systems.
The Manager, Engineering and Construction Rail Systems directs and manages technical and engineering support programs for rail systems and related asset classes.
This position requires a high level of independence, judgment and autonomy to evaluate, analyze and develop tactical implementation plans to successfully design and deliver a portfolio of projects in rail systems asset classes and others as assigned and to provide engineer support services for TriMet’s Operations Division rail systems.
Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of our work. Perform related duties as required.
Serve as a good steward of TriMet by regularly utilizing our transit system to maintain a strong and current understanding of customers’ experiences and of TriMet’s product and service offerings.
Salary Range: $115,201.00- $172,803.00
1. Direct and manage the scope, schedule and budgets for a portfolio of rail systems and related projects assigning available internal and external resources for development, design, scheduling, estimating, contracting, fabrication, testing and turnover to operations. Determine appropriate contracting method. In conjunction with individual project managers, procurement and legal staff, address bid or other contracting issues, monitor progress, make regular on-site and fabrication facility visits, develop regular reports on progress. Provide updates to Director, Executive Director, and TriMet management of progress and issues
2. Coordinate with Program Management to develop annual budgets for assigned rail systems and related projects. Participate in identifying and securing external and internal funding sources. Draft intergovernmental agreements or other documents to secure funding. Report on project milestones and progress. Participate in closeout; prepare for and assist with internal and external audits.
3. Manage, review and approve contract change orders and supporting documentation. Provide final review and approval authority for changes not to exceed $100,000.
4. Coordinate project efforts with internal staff, consultants, and public and private agencies. Coordinate with other departments and outside agencies on assigned rail systems and related projects.
5. Responsible for effective management of managers, project managers, and all assigned staff, including recommending hiring, disciplinary action, assigning work, coaching and performance evaluations.
6. Provide senior level technical direction related to design and construction of rail systems and other assigned projects.
7. Supervise project managers, design managers, and construction managers. Coordinate consultants and assigned TriMet staff to ensure timely support and expected progress on a portfolio of projects as assigned. Enlist special or additional resources as needed to complete the work. Supervise planning, engineering and construction work of consultants and TriMet staff.
8. Oversee contract packaging for bidding of construction specifications, and other documents developed by consultants and TriMet staff.
9. Manage and coordinate the delivery of engineering support services for TriMet Operation’s rail systems and the work of engineers and technicians related to TriMet’s existing rail systems.
10. Responsible for the analysis and resolution of complex problems pertaining to design and construction of rail system projects and others as assigned. Responsible for the management and oversight of testing and troubleshooting of new and existing traction power, signaling and communication systems. Responsible for systems integration testing and review and approval of test results.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required.
A Bachelor’s Degree in electrical or mechanical engineering is required.
A minimum of ten (10) years total credited experience.*
Four (4) years of experience in traction power, rail signal and communication systems are required.
Two (2) years of lead or project management or staff management, including experience supervising other management or professional level staff, are required.
A Professional Engineer (PE) professional registration from the State of Oregon is preferred upon hire.
A valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record per TriMet Policy are required.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
*The amount of credit a candidate receives for prior years of experience is based on the relevancy of that experience to the required or preferred prerequisites of the job description. Experience is prorated based on hours worked. LRHR assigns and validates the “credited experience”.
Type of Position / Grade / FLSA
Grade 19, Exempt, Non-Union, Full-Time
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans’ preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and attach supporting documentation at the time of application submission.
If you need accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process, contact our Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 7-1-1. Note that we require a minimum of two workdays’ notice prior to the need for accommodation.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including veterans, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities.
If a person with a disability could meet job qualifications with a reasonable accommodation, TriMet will work with the employee to accommodate the need. If TriMet’s accommodation is effective in allowing the employee to perform the essential functions of the job, it need not be the employee’s preferred accommodation.