Hampton Roads Transit is currently seeking a Manager of Rail Systems Maintenance to coordinate and oversee specific maintenance activities in Rail Operations. This includes planning, organizing, and implementing functions associated with the daily and long-term operation and maintenance of HRT’s systems services. The Manager will provide direction and support to multiple staff employees and supervisors having responsibility over system signal and power distribution services ensuring that department functions are adequate to meet internal/external customer needs. This position will work closely with the Rail Transportation and Safety Managers.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work to achieve departmental goals and objectives. Monitor progress towards established goals and report results to the Director of Maintenance – Facilities and Rail.
- Take corrective action to achieve goals.
- Ensure equipment is operational, serviced, and ready to meet daily service requirements.
- Implement quality control measures. Develops and monitors systems for compliance to maintenance procedures and safety rules. Monitors maintenance of HRT assets maintained by external contractors. Ensures that quality and safety are integrated into all aspects of subordinate responsibilities.
- Communicate effectively with the Director the results of LRT systems and/or LRV maintenance activities, and other relative information and to other Hampton Roads Transit personnel as necessary.
- Assist in Ferry boat maintenance at the discretion of the Director.
- Take on the overall responsibility for the maintenance and repair of essential HRT equipment. This includes but is not limited to the following: Rail Data Communications, Rail Power, and Train Control Systems.
- Evaluate and select external consultants, contractors, and vendors based on project needs using various project procurement methodologies for companywide technical service projects.
- Work with the Director to develop and manage the department budget. Provides input in the development of annual budget plans for programs, maintenance, capital projects, equipment, and goals. Adjusts expenditure priorities as necessary.
- Assist in the coordination of project activities with other internal departments to ensure their needs and expectations are met with regards to project designs, maintenance, and construction requirements.
- Ensure that each department manager and/or supervisor has activity plans, SOPs, budgets, and test plans as required by HRT and/or local, state, or federal agencies.
- Verify that all stakeholders are satisfied with safety certification requirements.
- Ensure that quality and safety are integrated into all aspects of their responsibilities.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Proven ability to effectively work with others in an operating and unionized environment.
- Knowledge of Operating, Maintenance and Safety Rules and Regulations pertaining to Light Rail Systems.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Business/Management or a related field. 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the management of operating and maintenance functions in a unionized transit, military, and/or transportation system. 5 years project or management and design or design management experience including budgeting, scheduling, change order implementation and contract management experience.
Commercial driver’s license or commercial learner’s permit class B with air brake and passenger endorsement.
To view complete job description and to apply for the Manager of Rail Systems Maintenance position, please visit our website at http://gohrt.com/transitcareers/.
Hampton Roads Transit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.