Hampton Roads Transit is currently seeking a Planner II is to develop and implement short range service plans, develop cost estimates and reports and coordinate the plans with city officials. Work to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of routes and respond to and investigate citizen requests, suggestions, and complaints. Responsible for data gathering including distance, running times, etc., to modify existing, or establish new routes. Provide overall analysis of Planning and Scheduling data. Develop and analyze data to be utilized to enhance the business practices of the Planning and Scheduling staff. Perform technical analyses, report development, and data processing designed for the improvement of transit operations. Collect, maintain, manage, analyze, interpret, and distribute data and information from a wide variety of internal transit systems such as HASTUS ATP (Run Time Analysis) and Checker Assistant modules, TransitMaster CAD/AVL, Automatic Passenger Counters (APC), etc.
- Review and analyze statistical data in order to evaluate the effectiveness of on-going service and to make recommendations for new service or service modifications. Provide support and analysis for service planning and scheduling, especially annual service plan, and new service development.
- Develop short-range plans for implementation of new or modified routes.
- Analyze a variety of transit performance and fare media data and makes recommendations for new or revised services. Prepare reports summarizing the findings of the analysis.
- Assist in the conception, development and implementation of a variety of transit service planning projects and activities; work with jurisdictional representatives in developing and implementing plans and projects consistent with departmental objectives. Perform related research, data collection and analysis.
- Assemble related statistical data and compiles reports.
- Provide financial analysis and estimates, cost related to plan implementation.
- Participate in the collection, compilation, and organization of statistical data obtained through various methods.
- Work with citizens, interest groups and representatives from other governmental agencies on transit planning projects.
- Prepare maps and other analysis and presentation documentation, using GIS, Excel, and other computer-based tools.
- Analyze data concerning ridership, demographics, spatial information.
- Data input into Arcinfo software program.
- Generate maps and analyzes spatial data.
- Coordinate with the operations, scheduling, and marketing functions.
- Enter bus stop locations and associated information into Stop Management database.
- Provide planning input to the Manager of Service Development and coordinates development and implementation of transit services.
- Plan and monitor passenger services including bus stop locations, bus shelters, info posts, park and ride lots, etc.
- Perform data uploads between TransitMaster and HASTUS.
- Develop reports utilizing HASTUS/TransitMaster and Microsoft Access.
- Coordinate runtime calibration with schedulers.
- Regularly check the raw and processed data against manual information and field observations to identify and research problems in the system.
- Work with Technology staff to correct inaccuracies in the underlying software applications.
- Utilize excel and/or Microsoft Access or other software to analyze data.
- Analyze various data to determine trends and make recommendations based on findings.
- Build new functions and reports in the database in response to planning needs and requests.
- Coordinate with Planning management regarding ridership reporting requirements.
- Responsible for preparing various monthly, quarterly and annual performance reports.
- Responsible for the integration and analysis of data from various sources.
- Support the leadership team and departments with data consultation, gathering and analysis
- Develop and present oral, written and graphic presentations that convey complex data in an accessible and understandable manner to a wide variety of audiences.
- Develops and makes effective, professional presentations.
- Prepares reports and makes oral presentations as required.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Knowledge of transit planning techniques.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in the analysis and solution of complex route and schedule problems.
- Ability to manage time and multiple tasks effectively.
- Interpersonal skills required to effectively communicate orally and in writing, including good customer service skills.
- Ability to develop and make effective, professional presentations.
MS Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); knowledge of MS Access, HASTUS ATP, TransitMaster, Checker Assistant and Scheduling modules preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Transportation, Urban Studies, Engineering, or a related field (Appropriate experience may be substituted for the above areas); previous work experience in Transportation or Urban Planning required; must successfully demonstrate analytical, quantitative and verbal (oral and written) skills.
Apply online at www.gohrt.com/transitcareers/
Hampton Roads Transit is an Equal Opportunity Employer