Summary of Job:
Under the direct supervision of the Transit Planning Manager, this position is responsible for generating and analyzing various reports on ridership, revenue and performance for all aspects of the transit system, provides GIS support and analysis, advises senior staff on performance of service contractors, and ensures JTA service databases are accurate, functional, and properly scheduled with vendors. Serves as primary backup for Clever Devices system.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepares analysis of the performance of the transit system in terms of ridership, on-time performance, other financial and operating performance data and identifies trends that will lead to possible transit and mobility service improvements.
- Responsible for creating presentations to senior management and executive leadership on performance of the JTA transit system and opportunities for improvements based on data and analysis.
- Researches and develops advanced planning software and geographic positioning systems (such as automatic passenger counters, automatic vehicle location and automatic on-board stop announcement systems).
- Responsible for administering the automatic passenger counter program, including federally-required National Transit Database random sampling, routine data processing and reporting, updating quarterly schedule files, and preparing monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Develops and maintains the geographic database of transit system performance data, U.S. Census data and regional geographic data.
- Prepares thematic maps to evaluate transit performance trends.
- Prepares spatial and demographic analysis, including Title VI analysis for each major service change and triennial review.
- Researches and compiles information on a variety of transportation planning and policy issues.
- Collects a variety of statistical data and prepares reports, maps, charts and tables.
- Develops and maintains databases and performs analysis of data sets.
- Prepares daily farebox revenue and ridership reconciliations. Responsible for checking farebox system accuracy of ridership and revenue counts. Identifies errors and malfunctions recorded through fareboxes.
- Participates in public outreach activities including the preparation of maps and service change materials,and attend public meetings.
- Coordinates system map and passenger schedule updates, including internal review from Customer Service, Outreach, Operations, and External Affairs.
- Assists with Hastus database maintenance including bus stop location, route changes, and scheduling.
- Coordinates with other JTA users and Giro regarding Hastus customizations and upgrades.
- Assists with the operator scheduling and pick process.
- Communicates problems and suggests corrective action and training related to use of fareboxes, automatic passenger counters, on-board stop announcement software, trip itinerary planning software and other Advanced Passenger Transportation System technologies.
- Serves as primary backup for the CAD/AVL (Clever Devices) database.
- Assists with installation and troubleshooting of hardware and software onboard the buses, including operator microphones, radios, modems, IVN processing unit, Automated Passenger Counters, GPS positioning system, and farebox.
- May be required to work after hours and on weekends as needed to troubleshoot issues related to operator login, destination signs, or other CAD/AVL issues.
- Responsible for distribution of service databases to numerous third party vendors and other users including, but not limited to NextBus, Google, JTA website vendor.
- Assists in planning and scheduling of JTA bus services and helps coordinate efforts with other JTA departments and external stakeholders.
- Supports Senior Manager and Manager of Ferry and Special Services in administration of operating contracts, including but not limited to: ferry services, taxi service, ReadiRide, Express Select, premium paratransit and low speed circulators.
- Aggregates and analyses data from various sources to provide recommendations on improvements to new JTA mobility options.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory & Operational Authority
- This position has 0 direct report(s).
- Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with the Amalgamated Transit Union contract.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with Federal Transit Administration’s NTD regulations.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act and associated documentation required by the Federal Transit Administration.
- Conforms to all safety rules and wears/uses all appropriate safety equipment.
Required/ Preferred Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Urban Planning, Geography, Business/Public Administration, Mathematics, Statistics or related field with a focus on quantitative and qualitative analysis and 8 years of experience in transportation planning, database administration or business planning and analysis. A Master’s Degree in the above fields may substitute for two years of experience. Equivalent years of experience may substitute for a degree.
Demonstrated mastery of ArcGIS.
Preferred familiarity with Federal Transit Administration National Transit Database requirements.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of Geographic Information Systems to support transportation planning.
- Ability to explain quantitative and qualitative analysis in an understandable manner.
- Ability to analyze complex data and make recommendations accordingly.
- Must work well with a team, serving both internal and external customers
- Must have a thorough knowledge of the street and highway network in Duval, northern Clay and northern St. Johns Counties.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Proficiency in database applications is desired.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Ability to interact and communicate with all levels of JTA staff.
- Communicates with co-workers, management and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that may include some weekends and evenings.
- Sit and or stand for prolonged periods.
- Perform repetitive motion.
The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is a public transit service provider governed by requirements of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
Due to the nature of some work performed at the JTA/JTM some jobs are classified as ‘Safety Sensitive’ and are subject to random testing for drug and alcohol use. All offers for employment are required to undergo pre-employment and possible random drug testing. If test shows a positive result your application for employment will be rejected, or if hired, employment may be terminated.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How To Apply:
To apply for this vacancy you must create a user account and profile — then apply for the specified job opening. Applications are considered for 90 days. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer — M/F/D/V.
Preference in appointment is available to eligible veterans, disabled veterans and spouses of disabled veterans. Applicants claiming preference must attach the following applicable forms with their resume at the time application in order to receive the preference.
• DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy)
• FDVA Veterans Preference Certification Form VP-1
• FDVA Certificate of Current Member of Reserve Form VP-2
• FDVA Certification of Unremarried Widow or Widower Form VP-3
It is the responsibility of the applicant to disclose true and accurate information on their account profile and/or resume. Falsification of this information may lead to your disqualification from vacancy consideration and/or termination of employment.