Under the supervision of the Director – Planning & Sustainability, this position is responsible for management, oversight and development of regional and long range transportation planning. This position will assist the Director with the annual budget development covering planning section of the group. It is responsible for representing JTA on committees and organizations focusing on long range and regional planning initiatives.
- Leads and manages long range and regional transportation planning projects
- Leads and manages planning team consisting of Planner II
- Demonstrates leadership, commitment and passion for collaboration, public engagement, and innovative thinking to shape regional planning initiatives
- Leads implementation of the MOVE2027 strategic plan initiatives
- Fosters professional environment that reflects a high value on internal and external customer service, collaboration, preparation, and work quality
- Provides feedback into the annual operating budget development
- Manages consultant teams and their budgets
- Makes presentations to the public and community stakeholders on mobility initiatives
- Ensures JTA compliance with Federal and State regulations.
- Communicates with citizens, public committees, community organizations, business and civic organizations, Citizen Planning Advisory Committees, Veterans organizations, Career Source and related groups.
- Provides management and oversight of projects, programs of assigned division; develops strategy, goals, and priorities; manages initiatives; provides advanced technical guidance related to processes, standards, policies, and regulations; performs technical analysis used in decision making; makes resource assignments.
- Serves as liaison with other departments, internal and external stakeholders, boards, and the public; oversees collaborative efforts; provides consultation related to regional planning issues.
- Reviews and approves communications, reporting and presentations.
- Develops ongoing coordination of planning projects with the City of Jacksonville.
- Monitors quality standards.
- Evaluates program needs and required improvements to existing programs.
- Oversees preparation and processing of the JTA Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP), Priority Projects and UPWP submissions
- Attends, tracks, and monitors LCBs for regional partner counties in coordination with Northeast Florida Regional Council
- Ensures department compliance in submittal, and monitoring FTA Section 5310 and 5311 grant applications and projects.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with the Florida Department of Transportation regulations.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with Federal Transit Administration’s regulations.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act and associated documentation required by the Federal Transit Administration.
- Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
- Conforms to all safety rules and wears/uses all appropriate safety equipment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or closely related field from an accredited four-year college or university and a minimum of 5 years related experience.
- An advanced degree is preferred and may substitute for one year of experience.
Demonstrated expertise of ArcGIS.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn components of the Federal Transit Administration Section 5310 and 5311.
- Thorough knowledge to support long range and regional transportation planning.
- Ability to think creatively and develop cutting edge solutions that can be implemented.
- Knowledge of planning practices, public policy and transportation programs relating to transportation planning projects.
- Knowledge of Federal, State DOT, City and MPO planning and processes, permitting procedures and requirements.
- Knowledge of and skill in the operation of a personal computer utilizing planning related software applications, including general familiarity with modeling software, GIS programs and Microsoft Suite.
- Ability to manage and coordinate projects with multiple entities.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with staff, community and consultants.
- Possession of good written and verbal communications skills to develop. requests for proposals, professional correspondence, to make presentations, and to conduct technical meetings.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that may include some weekends and evenings.
To apply for this vacancy you must create a user account and profile — then apply for the specified job opening. Applications are considered for 90 days. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer — M/F/D/V.
Preference in appointment is available to eligible veterans, disabled veterans and spouses of disabled veterans. Applicants claiming preference must attach the following applicable forms with their resume at the time application in order to receive the preference.
• DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy)
• FDVA Veterans Preference Certification Form VP-1
• FDVA Certificate of Current Member of Reserve Form VP-2
• FDVA Certification of Unremarried Widow or Widower Form VP-3
It is the responsibility of the applicant to disclose true and accurate information on their account profile and/or resume. Falsification of this information may lead to your disqualification from vacancy consideration and/or termination of employment.