Under the direction of the Program Manager – Vertical in Construction & Capitol Programs, this position is responsible for managing the assigned capital construction projects implemented by the Construction & Capitol Programs department within the System Development Division
Essential Job Functions:
- Prioritizes, plans, schedules, and oversees the inspection work for assigned facilities, road, bridge, ferry, transit and Skyway infrastructure capital improvement projects.
- Manages the safety, quality, permitting, right-of-way acquisition, project bidding, scheduling, cost control, payment certification, commissioning, closeout, and acceptance of the assigned projects.
- Coordinates the work of engineering personnel, designers, manufacturers, construction engineering and inspection team, independent testing agencies, and contractors on assigned projects. Ensures that safety and quality are established as project priorities.
- Develops and maintains project budgets and cost estimates for assigned projects.
- Participates in bid document reviews, design optimization reviews and value engineering of capital project designs performed by System Development consultants.
- Represents the System Development division in pre-bid conferences held for assigned projects.
- Procures construction services in accordance with JTA guidelines. Develops contract scopes and evaluates and negotiates fee proposals and schedules for construction contracts, to achieve desired project objectives.
- Reviews and approves contractor and consultant invoices, and evaluates actual periodic performance against project schedule. Ensures that earned value reporting of progress is maintained on a monthly basis.
- Ensures that thorough project records are kept and maintained throughout the life of the project, and monitors change and claim activity.
- Responsible for leading the activity of reviewing and analyzing contractor change requests and claims for time and cost. Prepares the Authority’s position and recommendation for negotiations with the contractor.
- Assists the Program Manager in conducting public meetings, and makes presentations relating to the construction plans and progress. Serves as the Authority’s point of contact for public questions and concerns regarding the construction work.
- Conducts periodic construction field reviews to assess progress, check the job site safety and security, and verify that environmental requirements are being managed. Prepares reports detailing the construction review, and makes recommendations to the Program Manager on issues requiring resolution.
- Manages the construction and engineering inspection teams on assigned projects to ensure proper construction management of JTA projects from contract Notice to Proceed to contract closeout and handover.
- Manages the review and response to requests for information from the contractor. Ensures that designer responses are thorough, to the point, and timely.
- Ensures that field inspections, reports, pay estimates, contractor requests, claims, etc. are responded to in a professional and timely manner.
- Ensures the timely submission of project record documents and as-built drawings. Responsible for managing the review and comment activity associated with the submissions.
- Coordinates the completion, facility occupancy and handover process with the project owners. Ensures that all remaining open punch items are completed to the satisfaction of the Authority.
- Responsible for the preparation of periodic updates of the project progress and challenges/issues for assigned projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory & Operational Authority: Provides oversight of contractors and consultants.
- Ensures compliance with key FTA and FDOT specifications.
- Ensures compliance with Disadvantaged Business Enterprise and Local Small Business requirements.
- Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
- Conforms with all safety rules and wears and uses all appropriate safety equipment
Required/ Preferred Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, or a related industry field and a minimum of eight years progressively responsible Engineering or Construction Management experience. Experience in transportation and or transit construction is preferable.
Due to the nature of some work performed at the JTA/JTM some jobs are classified as ‘Safety Sensitive’ and are subject to random testing for drug and alcohol use. All offers for employment are required to undergo pre-employment and possible random drug testing. If test shows a positive result your application for employment will be rejected, or if hired, employment may be terminated.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
To apply for this vacancy you must create a user account and profile — then apply for the specified job opening. Applications are considered for 90 days. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer — M/F/D/V.
Preference in appointment is available to eligible veterans, disabled veterans and spouses of disabled veterans. Applicants claiming preference must attach the following applicable forms with their resume at the time application in order to receive the preference.
• DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy)
• FDVA Veterans Preference Certification Form VP-1
• FDVA Certificate of Current Member of Reserve Form VP-2
• FDVA Certification of Unremarried Widow or Widower Form VP-3
It is the responsibility of the applicant to disclose true and accurate information on their account profile and/or resume. Falsification of this information may lead to your disqualification from vacancy consideration and/or termination of employment