The Rail MOW Maintainer (Signals), under minimal supervision will perform complex and specialized troubleshooting (both electrical and mechanical), preventative and corrective maintenance, and overhauls of rail transit equipment and associated sub-systems.
This equipment includes, but is not limited to, train to wayside communications, vital controllers, automatic train protection, vital track circuits, rail switch machines, grade crossing equipment, signals, public address systems, telephones, and passenger information systems. The Rail MOW Maintainer (Signals) will be responsible for inspecting and assuring that all equipment is working as designed.
This position requires the ability to perform testing and troubleshooting of specialized electrical and electro-mechanical equipment. The Rail MOW Maintainer (Signals) will provide emergency response and will be called upon to provide support for other areas in regard to light rail service, special events, streetcar, public safety/service and other duties as assigned.
· Works with other members of the Maintenance of Way (MOW) workforce and all related vocations to provide safe and reliable equipment for daily revenue service
· Responds to rail system incidents and works to mitigate service delays and/or recover from any equipment failures
· Renders whatever actions are needed to restore revenue service
· Follows and adheres to all systems standards, policies and procedures applicable to the day-to-day operations of revenue service
· Complies with and enforces all safety regulations set forth by CATS, FRA, OSHA, IEEE, FTA, and NCDOT
· Prepares reports and correspondence
· Assist in generating comprehensive operational and maintenance procedures that ensure safety to employees and equipment
· Utilizes computer based maintenance and material management system
· Work cohesively with other CATS and other City departments, as well as contractors and utility companies
· All other job-related duties as assigned
High school diploma/GED with five (5) years of relevant work experience; or an Associate’s degree with three (3) years of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
Experience in the maintenance of light rail train control and communications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Repairing and maintaining complex digital, electrical, electronic, and electro-mechanical systems and their components down to the lowest replaceable unit
· Must possess a CDL Class A or B license or be able to obtain within a timelines outlined by CATS
· Must be able to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit
NOTE: Essential Skills are Skills and Abilities that candidates must be able to perform or have the ability to perform in the performance of their required duties. Not meeting the requirements or not having the ability to perform essential skills may be grounds for disqualification.
· Positions in this classification are considered “Safety Sensitive” under Federal Transit Administration (FTA) drug and alcohol regulations.
· Must be determined to be fit for duty at all times while performing job functions.
· Must have the ability to communicate effectively and clearly in English both orally and in writing.
· Must be able to successfully meet the Physical Requirements and Knowledge, Skills and Abilities listed.
· Must have the ability to document work on logs, spreadsheets, documents and forms as well as utilizing computerized maintenance terminals, personal, laptop and handheld computers.
· Must be computer literate and have the ability to adapt to the use and understanding of existing software and future upgrades.
· Must be able to troubleshoot to the lowest replaceable component.
· Must have the ability to capably use all tools of the trade as well as standard shop equipment.
· Must successfully complete all training assignments and maintain qualifications where required.
· Ability to lift and carry at least 50 lbs.
· Must be able to manipulate 100 lbs.
· Standing and walking on uneven surfaces while working.
· Sitting while performing work.
· Bending while performing work.
· Twisting while performing work.
· Reaching while performing work.
· Kneeling while performing work.
· Crouching while performing work.
· Ability to work at and above shoulder level.
· Must be able to work in all required Personal Protective Equipment and Safety gear.
· Must be able to work in the assigned uniform approved by CATS.
· Vision – vision must be 20/20 or correctable to 20/20 (near, distance and peripheral
· This position is considered “Safety Sensitive” under FTA guidelines and will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
· Must be able to pass a written test to demonstrate knowledge in regard to areas listed under responsibilities in order to be considered for oral portion for an interview.
· Must comply with all safety regulations set forth by CATS, OSHA, FTA, FRA, and NCDOT as they apply to CATS Light Rail System.
· Will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing under FTA guidelines
· Must be able to obtain and retain a City of Charlotte Driving Permit throughout employment.
· Requires a valid driver’s license and the ability to attain a North Carolina commercial driver’s license within the timelines outlined by CATS.
· Must be available to work irregular hours and shifts depending upon the needs of CATS.
· Must be available to respond to emergencies on a 24 hour, 7 days a week basis.