Metro is seeking a SR. Manager of Bus Rapid Transit Planning & Design that would lead a team responsible for BRT planning and design activities across design, construction, and start-up for multiple corridors. This position is responsible for providing management and oversight for the BRT consulting team; leading procurements, contract management and oversight; and developing plans, specifications, and estimates for BRT construction projects, ensuring all necessary actions meet SORTA’s requirements for schedule, cost, quality, and safety related to project implementation. Manage SORTA BRT consulting team in project planning & engineering activities, including procurement of A/E & consultant services (RFP), corridor civil and systems design development, internal/external review of plans and specifications, procurement of construction contracts (IFB), and other project related functions. Has overall responsibility for BRT project execution.
- In alignment with BRT program goals and work plans, manage performance of consulting team: set clear expectations and accountability, develop work plans and goals, manage progress, remove barriers, and achieve project goals.
- Develop positive relationships, maintain ongoing communication, and meet regularly with SORTA staff to provide support and oversight for project tasks, remove barriers to progress, and ensure accountability for project goals.
- Generate work plans for multiple projects/phases to define capital project budgets.
- Meet bi-weekly with leadership to report progress and barriers to project advancement, and define
strategies to overcoming these barriers.
- Manage planning & engineering activities related to design of BRT projects, including working with other units of government, consultants and contractors, and internal staff.
- Develop scopes of work for planning & engineering services and other engineering phase consultant contracts and direct work of consultant teams, managing large and interdisciplinary work efforts.
- Lead coordination with internal stakeholders/customers and external agency staff, working to
communicate BRT project goals, understand stakeholder needs and concerns, and seek consensus in
design solutions while working within defined budget and schedule.
- Review plans, specifications, estimates, and other design documents for BRT projects, including civil,
structural, traffic, and systems design disciplines, that comply with local / State / Federal regulations.
- Manage design reviews at 0%, 30%, 60%, and 90% completion, tracking and resolving stakeholder
comments to ensure internal/external buy-in and plan signoff.
- Prepare and review/modify contract scopes of work, review proposals, recommend contract execution and administer contracts on behalf of SORTA, following all applicable procurement processes and procedures.
- Provide Q/A and Q/C oversight on contracts managed by supervised staff.
- Administer contract changes, including scope revisions, amendments, and maintain project control;
manage scope, schedule, and budget of planning & engineering contracts.
- Develop, modify, and ensure compliance with technical policies, procedures and standards for SORTA’s BRT project activities in alignment with overall SORTA’s procedures.
- Develop best practice documentation and project-specific procedures to standardize approaches to
common BRT issues (such as design checklists for standalone BRT station construction projects,
temporary, or partial implementations).
- Serve as Project Manager during construction phase. Coordinate with internal staff, stakeholders and consultant staff.
- Manage consultant development of Invitation for Bid (IFB) documents and lead procurement and contract award of construction contract. Review and approve change orders, invoices, schedule revisions, and other contract actions.
- Establish and maintain relationships with local and regional planning and economic development entities to coordinate BRT development, devise strategies that will support SORTA’s long-range planning initiatives, and assure their effectiveness in meeting the region’s public transportation goals
- Review and assist in state and federal grant applications and funding that support Strategic Planning, Development and Innovation department goals and objectives
- Prepare and manage BRT annual budget
- Provide monthly updates to SORTA’s Board through monthly reports and presentations
- Provide a positive work environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran
- Develop and implement standards and strategies to meet or exceed organization, department, and staff performance goals and objectives, monitor results, recognize accomplishments, and oversee continuous improvement
- Model, facilitate and encourage exemplary internal and external customer service, open communication, collaboration, participation, and professional development of staff
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Ability to work in compliance with Metro’s safety and security policies
- Develop presentations for conferences and attend conferences
- Other duties as assigned
- Communications: Excellent oral and written communication skills. Persuasive, consensus builder
- Customer Focus: Excellent problem-solving skills and a desire to exceed customer expectations
- Employee Development: Competent in assessing employee skills: coaches, delegates, and supports
employee development, provides constructive feedback
- Leadership: Energetic, innovative self-starter, committed to continuous improvement and creative
- Professional Integrity: Exhibits and values commitment, leadership, accountability, diversity, honesty,
fiscal responsibility, and the ability to maximize resources
- Proficiency: Able to multi-task, plan and measure results, create and analyze data, excellent computer skills, accuracy and attention to detail, excellent project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree (4-year college or university) in architecture, engineering or planning. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Eight (8) years of experience in transit development, of which three (3) in BRT design and/or
- Proficiency with Microsoft work environment including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, internet, and email.
- Working knowledge of GIS and data-related applications.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project
- Proficiency in Federal Transit Administration (FTA) capital projects requirements
- Proven experience in innovative transit solutions and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Working knowledge of transit planning and scheduling principles and requirements.
- Leadership and staff management experience.
- Excellent public speaking, writing and presentation skills.
- Office atmosphere