Metro is seeking a Sr. Planner of Community Development & MOD to lead and manage the community
development activities as they relate to network re-design and Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) service development.
Additionally, you will lead the planning, implementation and monitoring of Mobility on Demand (MOD)
service, including procurement of A/E & consultant services.
- Represent SORTA at various city, county, state, federal, and public meetings
- Interact with, and make presentations to, community organizations, nonprofits, and private businesses to support SORTA’s Public Outreach Programs.
- Lead coordination with internal stakeholders/customers and external entities to communicate SORTA’s long range goals, understand stakeholder needs and concerns, and seek consensus in design solutions while working within defined budget and schedule.
- Responsible for coordination on all aspects of mobility on demand service
- Brief members of the public and representatives from the community on MOD as community
- Assist in the development of SORTA’s strategy development by providing input and plans on
- Planning and community priorities, challenges and requirements in line with overall strategic objectives
- Assist in the development of scopes of work for planning & engineering services for MOD service.
- Administer contract changes, including scope revisions, amendments, and maintain project control;
manage scope, schedule, and budget of MOD contracts.
- Monitor performance of MOD service against plans during execution in order to deliver the performance targets and achieve the departmental objectives
- Assist in the update of department budget.
- Monitor financial performance versus budget to keep track of costs, ensure areas of unsatisfactory
performance are identified/ rectified promptly and improvement opportunities are acted upon
- Based on service demands and requirements, provide input and support the long and medium development of transit networks’ capacity expansion plans and capacity review to determine requirements in terms of capacity changes and bus fleet requirements
- Collect, analyze and interpret transportation data for short and long-range planning timeframes in order to provide sound basis for demand and capacity planning
- Ensure constant review of network performance as well as recommendation plans to improve the network performance
- Liaise, coordinate, and negotiate with different public and private entities, e.g. Engineering and Planning departments at the City, local MPO (OKI), local municipalities and developers to ensure alignment on all transport plans and initiatives
- Establish and maintain relationships with local and regional planning and economic development entities to coordinate SORTA’s planning goals, and devise strategies that will support SORTA’s long-range planning initiatives, and assure their effectiveness in meeting the region’s public transportation goals
- Work closely with local and regional entities to help improve viability of transit in Hamilton County
through effecting local zoning and land use laws
- Assist department staff with Transit Oriented Development (TOD) projects
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities and enforce a culture of change for continuous growth
- Ensure that all department’s reports are prepared timely and accurately and meet SORTA’s and the
department, policies and standards
- Develop positive relationships, maintain ongoing communication, and meet regularly with SORTA staff to provide support and oversight for project tasks, remove barriers to progress, and ensure accountability for project goals.
- Generate work plans for multiple projects/phases to define capital project budgets.
- Review and assist in state and federal grant applications and funding that support Strategic Planning, Development and Innovation department goals and objectives
- Provide monthly updates to SORTA’s Board through monthly reports and presentations
- Provide a positive work environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran
- Develop and implement standards and strategies to meet or exceed organization, department, and staff performance goals and objectives, monitor results, recognize accomplishments, and oversee continuous improvement
- Model, facilitate and encourage exemplary internal and external customer service, open communication, collaboration, participation, and professional development of staff
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Ability to work in compliance with Metro’s safety and security policies
- Develop presentations for conferences and attend conferences
- Other duties as assigned
- Communications: Excellent oral and written communication skills. Persuasive, consensus builder
- Customer Focus: Excellent problem-solving skills and a desire to exceed customer expectations
- Employee Development: Competent in assessing employee skills: coaches, delegates, and supports
employee development, provides constructive feedback
- Leadership: Energetic, innovative self-starter, committed to continuous improvement and creative
- Professional Integrity: Exhibits and values commitment, leadership, accountability, diversity, honesty,
fiscal responsibility, and the ability to maximize resources
- Proficiency: Able to multi-task, plan and measure results, create and analyze data, excellent computer skills, accuracy and attention to detail, excellent project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree (4-year college or university) in planning, public administration or related field
- Five (5) years of experience in transit planning and development. Master’s degree may account for one (1) years of experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft work environment including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, internet, and email.
- Working knowledge of GIS and data-related applications.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project
- Proficiency in zoning and land use laws as they pertain to transit
- Working knowledge of transit planning principles and requirements.
- Leadership and staff management experience.
- Excellent public speaking, writing and presentation skills.