Job Summary:The Superintendent Service Operations directs all Bus Transportation related work and activities for assigned sector (Bus Division or Bus Operations Central Control (BOCC)) and is responsible for ensuring and maintaining optimal service performance and for identifying and resolving service issues. The Superintendent implements and delivers positive outcomes pertaining to the effectiveness of customer service, all bus transportation service delivery, workforce productivity, cost performance, and other service improvements and programming activities associated with assigned sector, in partnership with other Bus Operations leadership.
- Manages the daily operations of the bus operations service delivery functions for assigned sector to ensure that all services are being operated on schedule and customers are being provided with safe, reliable and courteous service, and all administrative business functions and processes are being performed efficiently and effectively.
- Monitors and evaluates staff performance and provides feedback, coaching, positive discipline and other mechanisms to identify performance improvement requirements, and to further develop skills; provides recognition for high performance.
- Creates and maintains an environment focused on safety and coordinates with the safety and training departments to ensure all safety goals and directives are met and staff is properly trained.
- Provides tactical staff response oversight for emergency incidents and special events within the metropolitan area and coordinates both organizational and external partner participation.
- Assists, supports or leads accident/incident investigations, including any needed on-site assistance and support to safety and training personnel.
- Supports, implements and monitors department initiatives, policies, standards, operating procedures, and short/long-range objectives aimed at improving business processes and overall service delivery.
- Interacts with customers, communities, and businesses to identify and implement new service and improvements to existing service.
- Tracks, compiles, analyzes and reports on bus service delivery key performance indicators, including bus operator performance reports and handles interdepartmental issues.
- Oversees the daily supervision of bus operators, supervisor staff and/or communication specialists and maintains close communication with staff of other service operations sectors as necessary, to ensure a safe and efficient bus service operation.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSEducation Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation Management, or a related field In lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree, a High School diploma or GED and four (4) years of transportation operations industry experience Experience Seven (7) years of Transit Operations experience, to include a minimum of four (4) years as a supervisor/manager over activities requiring the planning and coordination of major transit service delivery operations. Certification/Licensure Driver’s License from the jurisdiction of residence No more than 2 points and 1 moving violation in a 24-month period (BOCC only) Preferred Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation Management or a related field
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.
Salary: $95,649 to 143,174