Trinity Metro has an immediate opening for Transit Planner. The incumbent will provide planning expertise in researching, analyzing and implementing a variety of complex planning and development activities in support of Trinity Metro’s Transit Master Plan, Strategic Plan and annual budget goals. Incumbent will participate in projects involving planning department staff and staff from other departments and outside agencies or consultants. The incumbent in this class performs a variety of complex planning development activities under the general supervision of the Director of Planning. The incumbent conducts transportation planning and analysis studies to identify strategies to achieve the mission and goals of Trinity Metro. The incumbent monitors performance of fixed-route bus service and analyzes ridership trends of transit services; produces short- and long-range planning studies that will enhance transit services. The incumbent assists in grant development and the development of the Strategic Plan, Transit Master Plan and the annual budget.
This position’s responsibilities include:
- Schedules and organizes complex activities such as meetings, travel, conferences and department activities.
- Contributes planning expertise to the development and implementation of projects, identifies and recommends action on planning and project risks and opportunities.
- Prepares, analyzes and plans programs that address all aspects (physical, economic, geographic, etc.) of community’s public transportation needs.
- Demonstrates familiarity and knowledge of transit planning concepts, including NEPA, transit operation and route planning, and data analysis.
- Plans new routes, alterations to routes and route eliminations. Estimates cost or savings from proposed service changes.
- Assists in the planning of new facilities, identification of appropriate sites and recommends improvements to existing facilities.
- Assesses conditions at all Trinity Metro bus stops, coordinates remedies and improvements, processes passenger requests for bus stops and amenities and maintains a database of bus stop assets.
- Measures and evaluates route performance to assure conformance with adopted standards; develops creative solutions for any services not achieving desired standards.
- Researches and compiles data for inclusion in planning studies and reports.
- Analyzes tabular data using advanced database queries and spreadsheet software.
- Performs spatial analysis with GIS software and prepares maps for inclusion in planning studies and reports.
- Develops opportunities for ridership enhancement through new and improved fixed routes, paratransit, rail services and other modes of travel.
- Design transportation surveys to identify areas of public concern.
- Conducts fieldwork to observe transit operations and collect up-to-date information on land use, travel patterns and transit ridership. Conducts field surveys of transit patrons and potential riders to gather supportive information for completion of special projects.
- Prepares professional quality reports, GIS maps, exhibits and other written materials for dissemination to Trinity Metro’s senior management team, Trinity Metro’s Board of Directors, other departments, external agencies and the general public.
- Makes oral presentations to coworkers, colleagues, and/or various committees.
- Assists with public hearings concerning the consideration and implementation of new or revised transportation service, the deletion of existing service and other service changes.
- Maintains confidential information.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance.
- Makes recommendations to management to improve operations, decrease inefficiencies and streamline work processes; work cooperatively with all customers, internal and external.
- Participates in company community activities to promote transit on off duty hours.
- Perform other responsibilities, as assigned.EDUCATIONGraduation from an accredited four year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Transportation Planning, Urban Planning, City and Regional Planning, Engineering, Geography or closely related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
Two years experience in public transit, transportation, city planning, public administration or closely related field.
Apply online at: www.ridetrinitymetro.org/careers