Under general direction of the Director – Transit Planning, this position is responsible for data management and analysis, asset management, service-planning activities and research needed to support the fixed-route services of the Authority.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manages a functional unit with the Transit Planning department; develops the work plans; manages short range service planning, grants projects, and/or traffic and scheduling functions.
- Manages and participates in the analysis and preparation of recommendations on immediate and short-term transit service trends and needs, transit regulatory policies and requirements, resource needs, environmental review, Title VI compliance, and financial compliance.
- Performs and supervises transportation modeling efforts.
- Performs and manages transportation demand management planning activities, which includes reviewing and commenting on proposed land use development or road projects; promoting the incorporation of pro-transit policies and programs, reviewing and implementing bus stop locations, and other related activities.
- Coordinates with the Mass Transit Operations in the maintenance and use of key data sources including the automatic passenger counter program (APCs) and Computer Aided Dispatch/Automated Vehicle Locator (CAD/AVL) systems, and the use of scheduling software.
- Manages the collection and analysis of a variety of performance data, including on-time performance and passenger boardings/alightings.
- Manages complex statistical and data analysis projects; and administers the establishment and ongoing updating of record systems and databases for research, service planning and/or scheduling purposes.
- Manages scheduling of JTA bus operators and vehicles at regular intervals in compliance with JTA/Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) labor agreement.
- Performs market research and surveys such as transit origin and destination surveys to support transit operations and system planning.
- Supports system planning efforts by evaluating and refining service proposals to ensure financial feasibility and successful implementation, including transportation modeling efforts.
- Manages the planning and coordination of major and minor fixed route service changes and fare policy, including the public review process.
- Performs quality assurances/quality control on major transportation planning and construction projects.
- Communicates with co-workers, management, consultants and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conforms with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions.
- Ensures department compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations and policies.
- Conforms to all safety rules and wears/uses all appropriate safety equipment.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Supervisory & Operational Authority:
- This position has 4 direct report(s).
- Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
Required/ Preferred Experience:
Graduation from accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree. Masters degree in planning or related field is preferred. AICP certification is preferred. Six years progressively responsible transportation planning experience in transportation planning with preference for experience in public transportation; including two years of supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the job listed above.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles and pratices of multi-modal transportation planning and transit operations; policy development and implementation, including a working knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations governing transit operations, transportation service development and planning programs.
- Knowledge of methds and techniques of data collection and statistical analaysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with a variety of software applications including Mircosoft Office, including a high proficiency with Mircosoft Excel.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Geographic Information Systems to support transportation planning including ArcGIS Desktop, Server, and ArcGIS Online as well as development of Collector and Survey 123 applications.
- Knowledge of service development initiatives and performance tracking techniques.
- Knowledge of and skill in microcomputer-based software and transportation modeling techniques
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, discuss and present abstract concepts to others in an understandable manner, identify alternative solutions, and make recommendations accordingly.
- Possession of excellent verbal, written and customer service communications skills, report writing and presentation techniques.
- Skill in the development and monitoring of budgets and analysis of manpower needs.
- Sit and or stand for prolonged periods.
- Perform repetitive motion.
The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is a public transit service provider governed by requirements of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
Due to the nature of some work performed at the JTA/JTM some jobs are classified as ‘Safety Sensitive’ and are subject to random testing for drug and alcohol use. All offers for employment are required to undergo pre-employment and possible random drug testing. If test shows a positive result your application for employment will be rejected, or if hired, employment may be terminated.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How To Apply
To apply for this vacancy you must create a user account and profile — then apply for the specified job opening. Applications are considered for 90 days. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer — M/F/D/V.
Preference in appointment is available to eligible veterans, disabled veterans and spouses of disabled veterans. Applicants claiming preference must attach the following applicable forms with their resume at the time application in order to receive the preference.
• DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy)
• FDVA Veterans Preference Certification Form VP-1
• FDVA Certificate of Current Member of Reserve Form VP-2
• FDVA Certification of Unremarried Widow or Widower Form VP-3
It is the responsibility of the applicant to disclose true and accurate information on their account profile and/or resume. Falsification of this information may lead to your disqualification from vacancy consideration and/or termination of employment.