This position is part of Transit Planning Department.
Under the general direction of the Transit Planning Manager, this position conducts studies for new service, evaluates existing bus lines and schedules, obtains data from and provides information to other staff members in regards to route and service changes, conducts field surveys of existing and proposed new service.
Essential Job Functions:
- Uses scheduling software to define routes, assign bus stops, develop blocks, develop runcut in accordance with transit service standards and collective bargaining agreement
- Responsible for evaluating data and making adjustments to schedules to improve efficiency, effective and equity of schedules.
- Provides data to planners for Title VI analysis for major service changes in accordance with JTA policy.
- Collaborates with Operations and Human Resource staff for operator manpower projections.
- Develops specific route and scheduling assignments. Calculates scheduled run times for specific existing and proposed new services. Participate in special services development.
- Develops and maintains a bus line filing system and associated data.
- Provides information and assistance to the Customer Service office, External Affairs (marketing) staff, dispatchers, radio operators, street supervisors, and drivers on route and service changes as they occur for system run picks. Leads the operator run pick process.
- Updates train sheets, maintains route-operating instructions, and copies and maintains train sheet files.
- Meets with bus operators and customer service representatives to obtain data necessary to perform route, service, and schedule analysis.
- Uses automatic passenger counter (APC) and compute aided dispatch/ automatic vehicle locator (CAD/AVL) data and other electronic data necessary to perform route, service, and schedule analysis.
- Prepares written evaluations of proposed route, service, and schedule changes and makes field investigations.
- Provides the print shop with route, service, and schedule changes for publication.
- Brief members of the public and representatives of community organizations on pending service changes as part of the outreach team.
- Reviews draft public schedules for errors prior to final publication.
- Communicates with coworkers, management, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Serves as point of contact to address stakeholder concerns with scheduling and operations software with provider.
- Provides service related metrics as determined by agency goals or agency partnerships.
- Conducts NTD ride checks as assigned for data collection purposes.
- Assists with other relatable projects as needed by the Authority.
- Performs mandatory storm/disaster job related functions that are essential to the Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) and/or the EOC.
Supervisory & Operational Authority:
- This position has 0 direct report(s).
- Conforms with all safety rules by wearing/using all appropriate safety equipment.
- Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
- Ensures schedules are compliant with Florida Administrative Code 14-90
Required/ Preferred Experience:
Associates degree in business administration, computer science, mathematics, or similar course of study and two years of relatable work experience. An equivalent combination of related training and experience may substitute for the degree. A minimum of three years of safe transit bus operation experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Displayed working knowledge of scheduling/runcutting software.
- Excellent analytical, creative thinking and problem solving skills
- Must have a strong attention to detail and mathematical concepts.
- Ability to explore using data consolidated in Geographic Information Systems.
- Ability to use good judgment in making decisions in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of the street and highway network in Duval, northern Clay and northern St. Johns Counties.
- A demonstrated working knowledge of ArcGIS or similar software.
- A demonstrated proficiency in database applications.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products with emphasis on and Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels and with vendors.
- Must have a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends.
- Sit and or stand for prolonged periods.
- Perform repetitive motion.
The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is a public transit service provider governed by requirements of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
Due to the nature of some work performed at the JTA/JTM some jobs are classified as ‘Safety Sensitive’ and are subject to random testing for drug and alcohol use. All offers for employment are required to undergo pre-employment and possible random drug testing. If test shows a positive result your application for employment will be rejected, or if hired, employment may be terminated.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
To apply for this vacancy you must create a user account and profile — then apply for the specified job opening. Applications are considered for 90 days. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer — M/F/D/V.
Preference in appointment is available to eligible veterans, disabled veterans and spouses of disabled veterans. Applicants claiming preference must attach the following applicable forms with their resume at the time application in order to receive the preference.
• DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy)
• FDVA Veterans Preference Certification Form VP-1
• FDVA Certificate of Current Member of Reserve Form VP-2
• FDVA Certification of Unremarried Widow or Widower Form VP-3
It is the responsibility of the applicant to disclose true and accurate information on their account profile and/or resume. Falsification of this information may lead to your disqualification from vacancy consideration and/or termination of employment.
The deadline for internal candidates to submit an application is:
Minimum Salary 40000
Maximum Salary 62500