Company/Agency Northeast Corridor Commission
Location Washington, DC
The Northeast Corridor Commission is seeking a highly motivated candidate to join its hard-working and enthusiastic staff. The Commission was established by Congress in the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 to coordinate the agencies that share the region’s core rail network. While the Commission has been administratively hosted by Amtrak since 2011, its staff is an independent team of transportation professionals.
This position is intended to support a variety of Commission initiatives, giving the successful candidate broad exposure to many technical areas. The position will support implementation of the Northeast Corridor (NEC) Cost Allocation Policy that governs the allocation over $1.3 billion in annual operating and capital costs and promotes coordination among the nine passenger railroads that operate on the NEC rail line. Specific responsibilities will include collecting, managing, and analyzing operating cost, train operations, and capital project data from transportation agencies located across the Northeast from Massachusetts to Virginia (and other data sources).
This role requires a high degree of technical competency, skills and experience in data processing, analytics, and communicating complicated technical information to lay audiences. Experience working in transportation, particularly public transportation, is beneficial.
This position is intended to be located in Washington, DC. However, there may be flexibility to locate the position in New York, NY or Philadelphia, PA.
- Support the development of the NEC cost allocation model, quarterly train performance, operating cost, and capital program delivery reports, the Annual Report, and other projects, as needed.
• Support the collection of operating cost, capital project, train performance, and asset data from transportation agencies, including preparing templates, coordinating with external contacts at member agencies, and normalizing data for use by NEC Commission staff.
• Support the execution of key analytical tasks, quality assurance and quality control checks, and the preparation of reports. Report preparation includes development of text, graphics, and maps that communicate technical information to a general audience.
• Support the development of responses to ongoing questions from external stakeholders, including organizing the collection of all formal questions related to cost models and reports; performing ad hoc analyses; and facilitating the resolution of any identified issues among stakeholders.
• Support planning for and executing meetings of the Commission, its committees, and its working groups.
- Bachelor’s degree in transportation planning, public policy/administration, engineering, business, or a related field.
• Experience collecting, evaluating, and interpreting data.
• Excellent computer skills in data processing and analysis, including experience working with Access, GIS, SQL, R, python, or similar software and an interest in expanding working knowledge of these and other data processing and management tools as needed to meet evolving project needs.
• Strong skills in written, verbal, and graphic communication of quantitative and qualitative information, including the ability to clearly express technical concepts to wide audiences.
• Ability to solve problems independently, identify potential process improvements, and work in a highly collaborative team environment.
• Demonstrated interest in passenger rail transportation and/ or the ability to learn the details of the Northeast Corridor rail infrastructure and its commuter, intercity and freight rail operations.
• Master’s degree in transportation planning, public policy/administration, engineering, business, or a related field.
• 1-3 years professional experience, especially direct experience in passenger rail or transit.
• Competent with data visualization and business intelligence tool (e.g., PowerBI, Tableau), geographic information systems (e.g., ArcGIS), or Adobe Creative Cloud (particularly Illustrator and InDesign)
Additional Information The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
To apply, please click the following link: https://careers.amtrak.com/job-invite/110504/