This job is a part of our Transit Operations division.
This is highly responsible management and leadership work related to the execution of a fixed route service delivery plan with a large number of union employees. Under the general direction of one of two General Superintendents, Fixed Route Transportation, the Transportation Superintendent is directly responsible for the day-to-day management of service delivery for fixed route operations, to include revenue service management, dispatch management and station management. This work includes supervision of operations supervisors, dispatchers, and bus operators as assigned. Work is rotational and will include shift and weekend work. Four superintendents cover the direct management work for service delivery, station management and dispatch and provide significant coverage through most hours of revenue service to include weekends. The work is rotational with regard to position – whether service delivery, dispatch or station management and will change on a periodic and planned basis. Transportation superintendents are very proficient in all of the rotational areas and must collaborate very effectively with their transportation superintendent colleagues and the general superintendents. Each transportation superintendent is responsible for and participates in the development of effective processes and procedures that allow for the seamless transition between roles during rotation and the seamless presentation of management approaches and attitudes to the subordinate staff under their purview. High energy, motivation, leadership and ability to form trusting, collaborative and professional relationships with colleagues and teammates is critical for the role. Each of the transportation superintendents will be held accountable for the production and delivery of efficient, safe and excellent service to JTA customers.
Essential Job Functions:
Responsible for collectively, in concert with other transportation superintendents, developing and administering a highly effective, repeatable, documented, service delivery program with detailed policies and procedures for all transportation positions and roles to include the transportation superintendent roles related to dispatch, station management and revenue service delivery.
- Responsible for the successful execution of the service delivery program and for delivering excellent service to the JTA fixed route customers by way of performance in areas, including but not limited to, excellence in on-time performance, safety, customer service, courteousness, professionalism, uniform standard compliance and attendance.
- Responsible for leading with integrity and by example and for acting as a change agent within Operations to create a culture of service excellence, respect and professionalism.
- Responsible for fully participating in and contributing to the team of interlinked and interdependent transportation superintendents responsible for service delivery on a daily basis.
- Responsible for the successful pullout and daily operations of bus routes, while providing leadership and guidance to operations supervisors, dispatchers and bus operators to ensure a uniform and professional approach in the delivery of JTA transit services and in the efficient dispatch of revenue vehicles and operators, as well as effective station management.
- Works collaboratively and respectfully with colleagues, teammates, union leadership and employees to create an atmosphere of professionalism and mutual respect where all are valued.
- Manages and leads employees and holds all accountable with an approach that is fair, honest and developmental when appropriate.
- Works with the General Superintendent to set goals and outlines specific objectives.
- Communicates and works with Service Planning staff to ensure that all identified service scheduling and route problems and recommendations are communicated and followed up on in a timely manner.
- Communicates and works with Maintenance staff to ensure that all identified equipment issues and trends are communicated and followed up on in a timely manner.
- Motivates and develops transportation employees in leadership roles; e.g., dispatchers, supervisors. Sets high standards for performance and holds leaders accountable.
- Responds to accidents, passenger disturbances and other events and resolves passenger and JTA bus operator problems as appropriate.
- Processes passenger complaints and takes corrective action as appropriate. Maintains communication with General Superintendent regarding all operational issues.
- Takes ownerships of assignments for areas of responsibility assigned. Raises issues, acts as an ambassador for compliance with and continuous improvement of the service delivery program and its policies and procedures.
- Identifies and reports JTA bus operator rule violations and provides corrective coaching, counseling and disciplinary actions as appropriate in a respectful, transparent and honest manner.
- Coordinates with JTA Control Center personnel and operations supervisors to resolve questions about service delays or route detours and changes.
- Maintains knowledge of all routes, detours and adjusts schedules as needed.
- Acts as a community liaison and JTA ambassador throughout the service area.
- Addresses all JTA bus stop and shelter issues and refers to appropriate staff for resolution. Follows through and verifies that work has been completed – owns it until it is completed.
- Assists with special event organization and execution (e.g., stadium shuttles, special service requests, promotional outreach, new service adjustments, public hearings etc.).
- Coordinates required special projects within the department, assigning tasks and overseeing transit supervisors as needed.
- Acts as the liaison between operations supervisors and other JTA team members.
- Conducts regular team meetings and provides feedback regarding performance.
- Maintains performance and attendance information for each team member and ensures excellent record keeping for all pertinent records.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Performs mandatory storm/disaster job related functions that are essential to the Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) and/or the EOC.
- Understands the importance of order in the day-to-day service delivery work and looks for opportunities to systemize for repeatability and excellence in work practices.
- Communicates in an appropriate manner in business dealings to include detailed report writing and holds others under their purview responsible for thorough and accurate reporting and excellent work products.
- Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude especially in the conduct of business with passengers, community stakeholders and subordinate staff.
Supervisory & Operational Authority:
- Oversees operations supervisors, dispatchers, station supervisors and bus operators as assigned.
- Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
- Responsible for ensuring all direct reports have taken all mandatory training.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
- Conforms with all safety rules and wearing/using all appropriate safety equipment.
- Strong working knowledge of Federal Transit Administration drug regulations in both substance abuse and alcohol recognition for reasonable suspicion.
Required/ Preferred Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Business Administration, Transportation, or closely related field and three years of management experience in a customer service operations environment. Degree requirements can be met through any combination of related college level coursework and additional years of appropriate professional experience. Prior transit related experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must possess strong leadership skills such as critical and strategic thinking, accountability, customer focus, and a team mentality.
- Must have a mindset of continuous improvement.
- Displays a high degree of emotional intelligence and balanced ego.
- Thorough knowledge of public transportation and bus operations systems. Familiarity with scheduling and dispatch software.
- Strong knowledge of Duval county street/road systems and familiarity with the effects of adverse weather on street/road conditions.
- Ability to retain a working knowledge of all routes, detour routes and adjusting schedules as needed.
- An understanding of the need for hazard identification and resolution and a commitment to follow-through on resolution of hazards.
- General working knowledge of Dispatching and Radio operations.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products and technology applications.
- Skills in planning, scheduling, assigning, monitoring, reviewing, managing and evaluating the work of others.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must be extremely organized and able to prioritize work assignments.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in written form.
- Ability to deal effectively with employees at all levels within the organization as well as the public in a tactful manner.
- Ability to work together – positively and effectively – with union representatives to resolve complaints and concerns in general, as well as those that may lead to grievances.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Trustworthiness and possessing integrity in dealings with others and conduct of work is essential.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively guide and oversee the work of union and non-union employees.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Reliability in exercising good judgement.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with frequently changing and evolving priorities.
- Ability to work shift work for extended periods, and as required, extended business hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Required to respond to emergencies and major events on a 24/7 basis.
- Ability to make formal and/or informal presentations at meetings.
- Sit and or stand for prolonged periods.
- Perform repetitive motion
The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is a public transit service provider governed by requirements of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
Due to the nature of some work performed at the JTA/JTM some jobs are classified as ‘Safety Sensitive’ and are subject to random testing for drug and alcohol use. All offers for employment are required to undergo pre-employment and possible random drug testing. If test shows a positive result your application for employment will be rejected, or if hired, employment may be terminated.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
To apply for this vacancy you must create a user account and profile — then apply for the specified job opening. Applications are considered for 90 days. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer — M/F/D/V.
Preference in appointment is available to eligible veterans, disabled veterans and spouses of disabled veterans. Applicants claiming preference must attach the following applicable forms with their resume at the time application in order to receive the preference.
• DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy)
• FDVA Veterans Preference Certification Form VP-1
• FDVA Certificate of Current Member of Reserve Form VP-2
• FDVA Certification of Unremarried Widow or Widower Form VP-3
It is the responsibility of the applicant to disclose true and accurate information on their account profile and/or resume. Falsification of this information may lead to your disqualification from vacancy consideration and/or termination of employment.