MTA NYC Transit Department of Subways, with almost 7,000 subway cars and 473 stations, employs 29,000 individuals who work together 24/7, 365 days a year, to move millions of customers safely to their destinations. These employees operate trains, maintain railcars, assist customers in stations, make critical right-of-way and electronic repairs, and provide technical and analytical support to deliver timely and reliable customer service.
As the NYC Transit Authority is transforming and modernizing operations, it is seeking to fill a key leadership role for Vice President & Chief Officer, Service Delivery. The Vice President & Chief Officer of Service Delivery will develop a strategy to improve recent gains in subway operating performance and system modernization efforts. Directing a workforce of 8,000, the executive will ensure the safety of customers and employees by guiding the daily subway operating service, reacting swiftly to unplanned disruptions in service, acting to improve the efficiency of operations and advocating for both the operations and customers in planning and investment decisions. To achieve these goals, the leader will possess the ability to empower the creation and sustainability of an organizational culture that engages and motivates employees to continually seek ways to improve the customer experience.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Provide executive direction and leadership of train operations and incident management for the NYC Transit Subway System, 24/7.
· Provide direction to ensure the efficient use of resources and oversee the development and allocation of the annual operating and capital budgets.
· Oversee all field operations and personnel, including revenue and work train operators, conductors, train service supervisors, dispatchers and tower operators, and others, to ensure optimal delivery of daily subway service over 25 lines in 4 boroughs.
· Oversee the interconnected functions of the Rail Control Center, the nerve center of the NYCT Subway System by monitoring daily operations, responding to incidents and communicating critical information to customers and NYCT partner agencies.
· Work closely with NYCT Operations Planning to develop and adjust service plans to accommodate ongoing system work, emergencies and incidents while ensuring optimal operations as measured by key metrics such as incidents, delays, on-time-performance and customer journey time.
· Coordinate Winter operations and Hurricane plans.
· Coordinate with the Office of Homeland Security in response to potential catastrophic events.
· Provide critical input into system modernizations efforts such as new signaling technology, training, rail car procurement, and other subway technology.
The selected candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Transportation Management, Public Administration, or a related field, with fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible experience in transportation or a relevant field, of which ten (10) years must have been in an administrative, supervisory or managerial capacity, or a satisfactory equivalent of education and experience.
This role is both strategic and hands-on. To be successful, you need to have extensive experience in an operating environment and the ability to make sound decisions in emergency and difficult situations. You must have a proven record of a high level of decision making, negotiation skills, success with conflict resolution and teambuilding.
Knowledge of the NYC Transit system, including track and infrastructure layouts and signal systems is preferred as is a thorough knowledge of NYC Transit operating rules, policies and procedures. The ability to manage a large, diverse employee population in a unionized environment and the ability to forge strong relationships at all levels of the organization, with external agencies and union officials are key to success.
This position offers a robust benefits package, that includes, but is not limited to the following:
· Pension Plans
· Medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage
· Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
· New York’s 529 College Saving Plan
· Flexible spending accounts
· Municipal Credit Union
To view the full position description and to apply, use the following link https://tinyurl.com/yxcbkrak or visit new.mta.info/careers, and search by Job ID Number 98046.
MTA NYC Transit is an Equal Opportunity Employer